Quoting suggestion

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by CloneRanger, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Would it be possible for Admin to tinker with the Quoting code ?

Example

q.gif

A lot of space is taken up with no text, so if the code was altered to just include the text i think it would both look better, and take up less area.

TIA

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

lol!

You don't know this place very well do you??:p It doesn't like change. Heck, still looks like it's stuck in the 1990's :eek:

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, tobacco's view about us and "change" aside, I'm afraid your request wouldn't actually save any space.

The quote block simply expands to the width of the postbit minus an indentation percentage on each side. If you narrow your browser window, the quote block contracts at the same time. (See the two images below of the same post viewed at different browser widths.)

Since nothing from a current post can be allowed on the same line(s) as any quote material, the space to the right side will always be empty, whether a boxed view or not.

Even the newest version of vBulletin 4.0, with fancy new stylesheets, does not change the way the quote blocks expand to a little less than the forum width. See the quotes in this thread at vBulletin.com:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...-XSS-vulnerability-4.0.2-PL-1-we-are-affected

Actually, if I did manage to trim quote blocks to just the width needed for the text within it, I think posts that have multiple quotes in them would look worse, having each quote block at different widths would look very non-uniform and messy.

Viewing a post with multiple quote blocks on wide screen:

quote-view1.jpg

Viewing same post on a narrow screen (quote block contracts with rest of postbit):

quote-view2.jpg

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hey There Lowman

You should know my sense of humor by now. Just tryin to loosen things up so those AV lovers don't end up killin each other when something negative is posted about their Antivirus :p

But seriously, it's obvious wilders isn't hurtin for business and the forum is rather stale lookin. I've been on a few forums that upgraded to the newest Vboard software and they look pretty cool.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I guess it's personal preference because I've been on the vBulletin site many times since they put in the v4 skin, and I just can't get used to it. o_O

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@tobacco

:D 1990's not quite, actually i like the way Wilders looks, generally.

@LowWaterMark

Didn't know that before.

Just thought it would look neater like this for eg

qr.gif

If it can't be done, and/or you don't want to change it, so be it ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.