quicktime question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i have been using alot of podcasting links recently and some of the casts need QuickTime to run. i haven't got it installed, but i'm about to using QuickTime Alternative.

However, when i look in the Program files folder there is a folder called "QuickTime" i haven't installed it and i think it might have been put there when i tried to play a QuickTime file which i don't have support for.

i have taken a screenshot of the contents of the folder. do you think it will be safe for me to just delete the whole QuickTime folder from Program files? there also is no sign of it in Add/Remove Programs
    does anyone have QuickTime installed? does your QuickTime folder have the same content, or is there more in it?

i have also checked to see if there is any QuickTime stuff here - C:\Documents and Settings\iceni\Application Data and there isn't.

Attached Files:

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Ice,
    It's been a long time, but when I uninstalled QT it left some debris behind. :doubt:
    I deleted the entire folder, as well as using my Registry Cleaner to remove every trace of it.

However I never experienced any problems by doing so.
    Using Quicktime & Realtime alternatives now and it works just great. :cool:

Maybe someone else knows more about it. ;)

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Eldar. what i am trying to say is - i have never installed Quicktime and the folder should not be there.

what i would like to know is what an installed Quicktime folder looks like, so i'll know if it was somehow installed by another program, or another means.

so, does anyone have Quicktime installed on there computer? if so does the folder in Program Files have the same things in it? - QTPlugin.ocx and qttask.exe

if that isn't a typical install of Quicktime can i delete that folder? thanks

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi ice :)
    These are the files associated with a quicktime installation. Hope this helps you

Regards

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks Nick :) that's perfect, it looks like i can just delete that folder then.

Off Topic. you probably saw my post about the audio/video search engine. i haven't used it much, but the very first search i did was for an audio search: Little Fluffy Clouds. and it came up second on the search results, the full version :cool:
    i havn't looked at it closely yet, but if it's free from malware it's brilliant. it also has a Family filter too.
    http://search.singingfish.com/sfw/home.jsp
    http://search.singingfish.com/sfw/about.html

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Your welcome ice! And yes you can delete that folder. It can come bundled with other software like i/tunes and is rare to see a full installation without your knowledge. It may pay you to have a look in your registry to make sure there is no reference to it there

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks Nick, all seems to be OK now. i have installed Real Alternative too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.