QuickTime Player... Is it good and secure?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dylanfan, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Hi...

I never tried QuickTime Player. Anyone with experience about it? Can one read videos and audio with it? How does it compare with WMPlayer, flexibility- and security- wise? Does it need any additional codecs to function properly?

Thanks for comments on this.

Cheers

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont like it much for anything. for basic playback needs, id much rather use WMP. QT player doesnt need additional codecs, but i dont think 3rd party codec packs like k-lite or cccp (see sig) would work anyways. i rely on media player classic for playing audio/video and i have quicktime alternative if i need to play any quicktime files.

3. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I agree with WSFuser. I use Quicktime Alternative for playing .MOV files and Real Alternative for playing Real media files and everything else is played in Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player 9.0. I also have VLC Player which is pretty good too.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to know why Qt Alternative and Real Player Alternative instead of the actual ones.

5. dog

dog Guest

Bloatware :rolleyes: and Real's penchant for tracking users. MPC is a great media player and project.

6. WSFuser

also by using qt alternative and real alternative, i can use one player for everthing instead of having three.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I did not understand it!

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So QT and RP alternative don,t try to connect to internet.

9. trickyricky

No, they never do, so you don't have to spend ages getting rid of autorun settings after you've installed them.

With Real Alternative and Quick Time Alternative, they both use Media Player Classic as their player, so for Real media you use Media Player Classic, for Quicktime files you use Media Player Classis, and for everything else you use Media Player Classic, so you end up only using one lightweight media player for all your media files, which is very nice.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

so if I install QT and RP alterntives, do I need to install MPC as well. Currently I have only WMP.

11. trickyricky

It's up to you, but I find MPC is much lighter on resources and everything else than WMP, so install MPC and see how you get on with it.

12. WSFuser

ive never tried using qt/real alternative with windows media player, but i find media player classic to be light and sufficient for my needs.

13. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I've always have had Quicktime and Windows Media Player 10 installed together. I feel Quicktime is good to have for example, online video's have good quality and some are good to play in Windows Media Player. Never a problem...

But, if I were you I would install Quicktime and Windows Media Player. Itunes I believe does come included with Quicktime.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

But if u want to play some QT or RP movie in MPC, u must have QT and RP alternative installed as well. Am I right? Just read it on net.

15. WSFuser

of course

16. dylanfan

I'm afraid I get a little lost here.

Media player Classic is also from M$, right or wrong? [Edit: wrong, I just saw it's opensource http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/]

Also, I tried my hands on VLC player (opensource) the other day. I liked it so much that I decided to completely get rid of WMP and the IE rendering engine. But to my great surprise, once this rendering engine was gone, VLC could no longer read videos!

Questions: 1. Does one know any secure media player which does not need this IE rendering engine to perform well on Windows OS's? [Edit: In other words, can you tell me if WPC will still work if I uninstall IE rendering engine?]
    2. Is the IE rendering engine responsible for some of Internet Explorer's bugs and security flaws? Or is the engine all right while the browser itself comes with the problems we all know of?

Thanks for any clarification. ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  17. dylanfan

18. WSFuser

does VLC work if u keep WMP but not IE core?

in the event that no one can answer ur questions, u can try posting in teh VLC and nlite forums.

19. dylanfan

Yes. I eradicated Internet Explorer a long time ago using XPlite
    I decided to keep the IE rendering engine component at the time though, just because I wanted to keep using WMP back then. Now I want to get rid of it and its underlying component too, but I have to admit I still have to find a good replacement for WMP.

I couldn't guess it would be so hard to find! Or isn't it?

Now I find myself led to ask 'What's the point of replacing WMP anyway, if the replacement is as buggy (see MPC), or is less buggy but needs the same (vulnerable!?) IE rendering engine component (see VLC)?'

It all starts to sound ridiculous to me. :(

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  20. WSFuser

even if MPC has bugs, do they affect you? MPC still functions normally, does it not?

also if u want another alternative player, try zoomplayer.

21. dylanfan

I'll test it more thoroughly in the next few days. I ain't home at the present moment so I can't really tell yet.
    I tried it a couple of years ago and thought it lacked some functionnality. I'll retry it and see what I do think now.

Thanks for your help. :)

22. dylanfan

Tested, and... yes!! MPC and BSPlayer also require IE html rendering engine to work. I still have to try Zoomplayer, but I hallucinate it's probably gonna give the same result.

Beats me... these free- or opensource alternatives to WMP are dependent on the same core component to run and be able to "replace" WMP! What's the use to replace it then?

The only way I could understand why it's this way would be if I was sure that this IE html rendering engine had nothing to do with IE's and WMP's security holes. But I ain't sure of that to say the least.

23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

If I want to install Quicktime Player 7.0, do I have to first uninstall 6.5.2?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.