[Quick Question] Is it possible this can happen?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ttk_2k, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ttk_2k

ttk_2k Registered Member

Hello, just would like to ask a quick question:

Can a password stealing Trojan or keyboard logger Trojan which is unknown to our ANTI-VIRUS software even with the latest virus database able to break into our systems and have my password or CC# stolen?

THANKS!!!! plsssss... very important for me! :'(

TT

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi ttk_2k, welcome to Wilders.

That is the key word, and the answer is of course, however, if the antivirus in question has good heuristics like NOD32 does, then there is a good chance it will be detected generically.

Cheers :D

3. ttk_2k

ttk_2k Registered Member

Thanks for your message Blackspear!

I asked this because yesterday I used NOD32 to scan my PC, it reported everything was fine, but later Kaspersky 6(trial) found out a Trojan Downloader, I didn't delete the infected file immediately, but used NOD32 for taking a new scan again, still it couldn't find it. Then I updated the virus database of NOD32, it soonly found the virus.

So I'm doubting how secure your PC would be EVEN have an anti-virus software installed and EVEN with the a so called latest virus database. Those new trojans can come into your system and for example a key logger, etc..

The main thing I want to know through this question, is that if these anti-virus or firewall softwares could detect activities of an UNKNOWN virus? For example, when a trojan which is unknown to our antivirus softwares is logging our keyboard inputs, maybe its moving like entering somewhere via certain port of our pc, or sending the logged file to the far end, could somehow be detected by our anti-virus software or firewalls, couldn't they? I mean otherwise a firewall or a antivirus software can change their types to known-fire-wall, or anti-know-virus software... LOL :D

Sorry for my poor english, wish you could get what I want to tell.

4. Blackspear

I understand what you are saying, you are doing really well.

A combination of NOD32, a good Firewall with outbound protection and a HIPS program like Online Armor will set your system up like a fortress, there won't be much that can get past this.

Hope this helps...

5. ttk_2k

ttk_2k Registered Member

Hi, thank you Blackspear for you fast reply, it really helps!

So with that combination, even an unknown trojan will not be that easy to steal our information or log our keyboard, right?

Thanks once more!

6. Blackspear

Indeed, really hard to get past that combination.

My pleasure.

7. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Do you EVER sleep BS? You posted at 2pm GMT. Go to bed!

8. guilijan

guilijan Registered Member

I think you must add 10 hs to his time.
    UTC/GMT +10:00

9. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

It may not have been as dangerous as it sounds. Although extremely annoying, it might have been nothing more than an adware downloader/installer (often flagged as "Trojan-Downloader.Win32...." by Kaspersky), or one of those that download and install rogue/fake antispyware/antivirus programs.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This was detected by NOD32 later , but anyway , ESET are soon going to have a Suit which will include a firewall in it which means that the firewall and the heuristics will make NOD32 users really unbeatable guys . :thumb: :D

11. Blackspear

LOL, my time, it was 11:11pm, I usually head off between 11:30pm and 12:30am ;) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.