Questions regarding "Messenger" service

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by balbanebeoulve, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balbanebeoulve

balbanebeoulve Registered Member

1. Well I've been wondering is there any way to identifiy the ip of a messenger service message?

2. I tried sending messages to my friends as jokes (with net send), some being a bit new to computers but messenger won't let me send the command.

"C:\Documents and Settings\****>net send 127.0.0.1 hi
    An error occurred while sending a message to 127.0.0.1.

The message alias could not be found on the network.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.

C:\Documents and Settings\****>NET HELPMSG 2273

The message alias could not be found on the network.

EXPLANATION

This message alias could not be located.

ACTION

Check the spelling of the message alias. If it is correct, then the computer that is to receive your message may be busy. Try sending the message again later."

And messenger is enabled...If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated....BUT I just tried something new, I tried using my IP instead of 127.0.0.1 and it worked....Seeing as how it said network I thought maybe it only would send network messages and I guess I was right...Okay well I just sort of solved my question but how do I make it send messages to computers on the internet and not only my "network"....? (Sorry if it didn't make much sense)

Yet when I send messages to my IP, not 127.0.0.1, it will send it perfectly. So I'm guessing netsend will only send things on my network. And 127.0.0.1 is not recognized as part of the network...Errr if anyone could tell me what's wrong I would GREATLY appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    -BB.

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

hi balbanebeoulve,
    the receiver of your message should have the messenger service started and port 135 UDP open for inbound traffic.
    Dolf

3. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

... and in addition you should have 135 UDP outbound unblocked (which is not a good idea)

As far as determining senders of received messages, you pretty much have to have some sort of ingress (inbound) logging of packets implemented either on your machine or on the perimeter firewall (if there is one)

BTW - I was able to run the example command on my machine fine. You might want to try to replace the loopback address with "localhost" and see if that helps on your machine. My machine is win2kPro sp3

HTH,

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.