Questions about Spysweeper and ewido, please

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by ramblinrose, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramblinrose

ramblinrose Registered Member

Hello all, I have questions...I have paid spysweeper with real time protection. I want to know if it is ok to have ewido guard on with spysweeper?? So there won't be any conflict? I just brought ewido today :) I like ewido. I am not pc expert but I am learning.

That's why I joined forum so I can learn more...:thumb: Thanks! I appreciated it. hugs, Rose

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I have no conflicts with the following configuration:
    Windows 2000 with SP4 and all hotfixes
    NOD32 2.51.26 (all real time protection modules enabled)
    SpySweeper 4.5.9.709 (real time protection enabled)
    Ewido 4.0.0.150 (resident shield enabled)
    Zone Alarm Pro 6.1.744.001 (real time anti-spyware protection enabled)
    BitDefender Standard 9.5 (Virus shield Disabled, only use as a on-demand scanner)

;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  3. ramblinrose

Thank you! I saw you have ewido 4.0 and I have version 3.5 now..so what should I do? Just wait till they will notify me? Do you have to uninstall 3.5 first? and they will give me new license key for 4.0? I just brought ewido today...that's why so many questions :oops: hugs, Rose

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

When you purchase a license for Ewido, you are purchasing a subscription and not a particular version. So far as your license is still current, you are entitled to all upgrades for Ewido, for example 4.0, 4.5, or even 5.0 WITHIN your subscription period, that is, from 27 Apr 2006 to 26 Apr 2007.

3.5 is the more stable released version and 4.0.0.150 is the unstable and buggy beta. If you want a stable version and a stable system, go for 3.5. If you want to try the upcoming 4.0 with new features (but buggy), go for the 4.0.0.150 beta.

If you want to try 4.0, it would be better for you to uninstall 3.5 first, since 4.0, though buggy, will give the the same but elevated protection for your system.

;)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  5. ramblinrose

Thank you very much, Chubb...:thumb: Very helpful :D I will stick with 3.5 for now. I only had it for 2 weeks now and I do like it. Before I scan, does it matter to scan in a safe mode? I hope not...I had to one time when I was told to go in a safe mode to get rid of trojans. That was my first time I did it in a safe mode and let me tell you, it looked dark in there lol hugs, Rose

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

If you do a scan in Windows and ewido says your system is clean, you do not have to do a scan in safe mode. If you do a scan in Windows and it finds that your system is infected and the nasty files are currently in use, you need to boot to safe mode, do a scan again and remove the nasty trojans. ;)

7. ramblinrose

Thank you! That helped me a lot....easy to understand. I appeciated it. I have one more question though, someone else (not here) told me it's better to have only ONE real time protection so now I am worried again. I have ewido plus (guard) and spysweeper (paid). I need to know what you think...sorry about that. :oops: hugs, Rose

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Actually, it is hard to say which one is better than the other. Both products have their own strength and I would say that they are complementary to each other, and it would be a good idea if the two products can be combined into a single product.

From my experience, SpySweeper 4.5 was stronger at detecting spyware, adware, browser hijackers, keyloggers, dialers and tracking cookies, while Ewido 3.5 was stronger at trojans. If you have both, you will have 2 layers of defence, and you can have both running real time with no crashes. For the time being, no products can ALWAYS detect 100% spyware, adware and trojans, so it would be a good idea to have both SpySweeper 4.5 and Ewido 3.5 running in realtime.

Since you have already purchased the license for both, just run them together and have 2 layers of defense.

For antivirus software, it would NOT be a good idea to run two AV realtime. Doing do will make you system very unstable.

You can do a search in the Wilders Forum where you can find other discussions on whether SpySweeper is better than ewido or vice versa. Some of the threads are very useful and informative.;)

9. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Don't read too much into these kinds of tests but if this is anything to go by ewido is much superior to SpySweeper at picking up residual files:-

http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic...&start=0&sid=6ccd8bee78d3977d590a9f10c788ef39

Actually the two products are not the same in terms of their real time protection and you can usefully deploy both.

Ewido is more of an anti-trojan, but a lot of spyware is loaded via trojans these days.

You should not run two AVs or two FWs together, but that does not apply to running an anti-trojan and anti-spyware realtime together.

10. ramblinrose

Ok So it is good to use both running same time...making sure I understand correctly... My english is not too good. I do understand about not to have 2 anti-virus programs and no 2 firewalls either, that part was easy.

So far, I have ewido plus and spysweeper on system tray and it seemed to be ok. I already know about spybot and I don't use teatimer on. I do have spywareblaster and winpatrol on. Before I have ewido plus, somehow I had trojans on my pc. It was very strange experience. It happened when I was at my forum reading posts when all of sudden, spysweeper and avast popped up saying I have trojan downloader and I saw something was downloading alright. I quickly shut down pc. I don't know where that came from!! When I turned on pc, everything popped up, avast and spysweeper telling me that I have trojans. So I had to get help and found another forum who helped me to get rid of it and told me to download ewido. Everything's fine now...

I surely don't want that happen again!! I couldn't believe it. I've been at that forum many times and nothing happened so I am puzzled where that came from.

That's why I want to know if it is ok to use ewido plus and spysweeper both running. I feel my pc need more protection but didn't want any conflict...that was all...Thanks so much! hugs, Rose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.