Questions about Eset AV

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by GrammatonCleric, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I am an Eset AV 2.7 user and have been since 2004 now I have few questions:

1) I never moved to ESET 3.0 due to 100% cpu issue and extra resource hunger...has that been fixed?

2) Does NOD 3/4 have better detection engine and heuristic engine or is it only malware removal improvement?

3) Along with 2, will NOD 3/4 detect things that 2.7 might miss?

4) Is NOD 3/4 portable lunch from USB drive? I know that I love 2.7 since I can copy the folder onto my USB drive, bring it to an off-network infected system, lunch NOD32 control center, configure the on-demand scanner and give the system a cursory scan (minus the memory scan) just to see if something is amiss. I really really love that feature and the main reason why I've been sticking with ESET for so long. I would really hate to learn that the capability has been removed.

5) What is the resource impact of 3/4 when compared to 2.7 AV only not System Security (SPAM/FW). I want a fully configured maxed out heuristic resouce impact...ESET devs shoudl know since you done the testing right?

Thank in advance

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

1, it depends on what kind of files are scanned. Generally people say that with the latest version 3.0.684 they don't have this problem anymore.

2, yes, both v3 and v4 detect more than v2. In addition, V4 has improved cleaning and self-protection against being terminated by malware.

3, answered in point 2. V2 detects less than v3/v4.

4, you can copy ecls.exe as well as all dat files from the ESET install folder on a removable media

3. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Great thanks!

1) Will the ecls.exe run off the USB drive w/o having NOD installed on the victim machine?

2) V4 being in beta, how stable is it and how resource hungry. Since I know that beta is not focused on optimization just stability.

3) Which files slow down the system, that way I will know if upgrading to V3 will be wise move or if I should stay with 2.7.

4) If I were to upgrade to 3.0 and have to re-enter my username/password will that count against my "installation # of times" quota?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.