Question

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Ramzes, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramzes

Ramzes Registered Member

Hi, i need help. I want know is my PC safe?:rolleyes:
    I'm using :
    -Avira Antivir PE classic
    -Comodo Firewall
    -Ad-aware
    -Spybot S&D
    -Hijckthis
    -Firefox (with no script plug)

What do you think about it? Maybe i should use some another soft (antitrojans, anti malware etc) ? (and if yes only freeware - i haven't money atm :(()

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

My personal opinion:
    Avira and Comodo are fine.

I prefer A-squared Free over both Adaware and Spybot as an on-demand scanner.
    It can be downloaded here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/a-squared_a%B2_Free_edition_d4281.html

I would also add Comodo BOClean Anti-Malware which can be downloaded here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Comodo_BOClean_Anti-Malware_d5616.html

You may also want to look at GesWall Free at http://www.gentlesecurity.com/

There are many other free HIPS which are very good such as system safety monitor and prosecurity. You should test these and determine which ones fit your taste.

3. extratime

extratime Registered Member

4. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Not to hi-jack the thread, but will BOClean find 'stuff' in Firefox cache and cookies ? Many Anti-malware programs I 've looked at do not look at Firefox. Only I've found that does is AVG Antimalware, but its not Vista ready...

5. Ramzes

Ramzes Registered Member

I'm using Win XP home edition ;)

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

CCleaner gets them all. Firefox itself too. Just set it to clean cookies when closing.

7. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

I did not ask for an alternative solution, I asked about this product BOClean and whether it works with Firefox. I only use IE for updates so I don't need something running that does me no good.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a4pre) Gecko/20070423 Minefield/3.0a4pre Firefox ID:2007042318 [cairo]

8. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

BOClean is not a file-scanner, and certainly not a cookies scanner. You may very well have malware lying about on your hard drive without BOClean reacting at all. BOClean reacts only when the malware is being run.

So there's no need for it to "work with" any other application. It doesn't depend on any program except the OS itself. BOClean scans a process in memory no matter where it was started from; if you launched it through Internet Explorer, Opera, Windows Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, the command prompt etc.

In a way, BOClean is almost like a process guard/watcher (if that helps make the explanation any more clear).

But if you are wondering if there are any compatability problems between Firefox and BOClean, then no, I don't think so. There's been no crashes between these two on my PC at least.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

One question : is the memory blank after reboot or does it keep its data in the memory even when you reboot ?

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think only if you hibernate or something. Shut down would clean memory.
    Confirmation needed.

11. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I think shutdown, or even restart clears the memory. Part of the memory that is not cleared is the swapfile (pagefile). I have read that, in some circumstances malware can propogate from the pagefile. Got the impression this was fairly rare.There is a regedit command that can be run to clear it at shutdown. Consequently shutdown takes 1-2min longer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834/EN-US/

[EDIT] Also second Superantispyware, and/or Asquared, a/o AVG AS, Boclean, and consider SpywareTerminator, realtime AS, freeware. Maybe a bit overkill with Avira, from what I've read, though.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  12. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

Avira Antivir PE classic
    -Spybot S&D
    -Firefox (with no script plug)

all you need , other stuff only slow down your browser and bother you with popups

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVG Anti-Malware is 100% Vista ready and has been so for a while now....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.