Question re: using an external hdd.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by eyes-open, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

I have a new external usb harddrive (Western Digital USB 2.0 Hard Drive 7200RPM 200GB). Mainly bought for back-up purposes.

My question is - once created does a full image exist as a file/folder in its own right and simply sit alongside other files/folders that may be on the external storage drive (possibly including a similar image from another machine) ?

Or

Is it better to create partitions on the external drive slightly larger than the size of the drive that's being imaged (allowing for re-imaging if necessary) and place the image(s) in these partitions ?

The question is probably too daft for words - but I'd rather double check before I start - cheers for any advice :)

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, eyes-open

The Image is a file called a tib, and will be fine along side other files and folders.

It is a matter of choice, and Image is a lot smaller than [depending on compression chosen] then the size the original Partition.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I suggest you create folders for the different machines and save the backups in the folders. That way you won't ever grab an image for the wrong machine, or at least you won't do it as easily. :)

There's no need to partition the USB drive, and it's better not to because folders just expand as they are used, but partitions are a fixed size.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, eyes-open

Sorry I missed the part where you say you are using more then one system.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Cheers
    &
    Exactly the clear lines of advice I was hoping for. Very much appreciated :cool:.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Glad we could help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.