Question about ZoneAlarm Pro 6

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gracie123, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hi, just have a question hoping you all can help me :). I am just wondering if the new technology "Triple Defense Firewall" in ZoneAlarm Pro 6 will block spyware that I may get from the Internet or a virus from putting any sort of files anywhere on my computer without my permission....

Thanks,

Gracie :)

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im not sure if it will block it, but the new ZA has antispyware capabilities. afaik i think its only a scanner but not sure.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Gracie,

I have not installed ZoneAlarm 6 yet. I am waiting for it to stabilize a bit, but from the documentation (which is available on its support site), it appears that ZA 6 has an anti-virus and anti-spyware scanner. It also appears to have an ability to block new programs from executing, unless you authorize it.This would provide some level of anti-spyware protection. As far as I can tell, it does not directly protect either folders (directories) or individual files.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am not quite sure about the spyware protection myself, but I would think that you'd be alerted to anything like that trying to execute. It might not prevent something from hitting your HD, but it should alert you to obvious malware or spyware attempts. As far as anti-virus goes, the regular ZA and ZA Pro have no antivirus. So ZA Pro 6 will not protect you from any kind of viruses. You'd have to buy the ZA Suite for that, which includes an AV. So if you do need an AV then be sure to install one, something like the Avast Home Free version is very good. The bottom line is, it's up to you to be careful about what you do on the internet.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i found this link that kinda explains some new features fo ZA 6 and the OSFirewall (part of the "Triple Defense Firewall"). its can prevent spyware as it has a few features of processguard and regdefend but like i stated earlier i doubt it has a resident antispyware scanner.

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I checked the manual at:

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/media/pdf/zaclient60_user_manual.pdf

Apparently, ZA 6 has anti-spyware and anti-virus protection including integrated scanners, as well as anti-executable protection. The manual is the greatest, but it does describe the capabilites of the Pro package.

Rich

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Rich, only the ZA Suite has AV protection. I think Gracie is using ZA Pro, which would not have any AV protection..

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Kerodo,

Thanks for the correction. I checked the comparison chart and you are right. ZoneAlarm Pro has the TripleDefense Firewall and Anti-spyware but not the AV.

Rich

9. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your replies! I was curious, and yes, I am using Pro version.

Thanks again, :D

10. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

The ZA products with AV protection is ZA with AV and their Security Suite which is their top of the range software.

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes and the bigger question is will they one day drop the Pro version and just have a all in one SUITE. :p Seems to be the way of things now a days. :(

AV AS AT ZAFW The 4 way defense system all you will ever need. o_O

RIGHT! :D

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The Suite sucks... if they ever do that, that'll be the end of it... :(

13. Siro

Siro Registered Member

ZAP v6 will take some time to get use too and it can be a nuisance at time with popups on every thing you do on your pc from a spyware scan to a program install it will give u unneeded popups sometimes and make u frustrated...great product though no doubt abt that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.