Question about restoring an image to a new hard drive

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Osaban, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yesterday I changed the old malfunctioning hard drive with a new one in my notebook. I quickly restored an image of my OS and data. Now everything is normal except Windows Updates doesn't work, when I click "check for updates" the window flashes for a second and reappears without starting the update process.

Is it due to restoring to a new Hard drive? When I restored using Shadowprotect I did it exactly the same way as I was doing it with the old hard drive hence should I use a different method for a new drive? I tried to restore another image and I get the same results. Any suggestions are welcome thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Osaban, have you checked in Control Panel -> System and Security -> System to see if Windows is Activated? (I'm assuming Win 7) Since you changed hardware (the HD), you may have to reactivate it. I think when I changed hard disks, I had to call the activate by phone number, read in the codes, answer a question or two, then they gave me a new activation code... The same should apply for Vista if that's what you have.... That might be stopping Win Updates (just a thought).

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Kerodo, this is the first thing that I checked, and I'm actually activated with Microsoft. I found the solution just after posting this thread, but I still can't understand why it is happening.

The solution is from the website Microsoft community, and this is what the poster suggested verbatim:
    It's amazing by deleting two files (see corrupted contents) and rebooting everything is fine. In his case it was related to rollback software, in my case to restoring an image, although it has never happened in the past with hundreds of restores.

Attached Files:

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wow.. Well, that's a relief anyhow. Nice that it was so simple to fix. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.