Question about .png file

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

What viewer or program could I use to view PNG files on my PC?

Thanks,

Gracie :)

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

If I understand correctly, PNG is a very close cousin of JPG with the addition of some security options like password-protection and maybe encryption. So quite a few viewers out of nearly all the ones that'll handle JPG should recognize and display PNG.

Your best bet, of course, is Google -- but hopefully someone here can come up with better info.

Way back when, my favorite was Graphics Workshop, which even included a feature to decipher "unknown" formats. They set no time limits at all on how long you could take to evaluate it, so in effect while it was technically shareware, for all practical purposes it was freeware. But now the evaluation mode adds an indelible (and quite conspicuous) watermark to any file opened with it, guess they finally realized they'd left the door open too long and too wide.

3. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

PNG is not related to JPG.
    PNG is a free lossless image format created to replace GIF. It's very common and any graphics program (even MsPaint) or browser created during this millenium has at least some support for it.
    For more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNG

I usually use Irfanview or XnView

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i too use those programs. both are good image viewers.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

There are a zillion image viewing programs out there, and I've tried several of them. I still come back to FastStone Image Viewer more than any other. It offers a nice mix of options and starts up fairly quick. (The only one that's consistantly faster to load an image is IrfanView. But it doesn't offer a very user friendly gui.)

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

(FWIW, if you want an excellent screen capture tool, check out the FastStone Capture program there too.)

6. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Agree Han - superb for web page scrolling capture too, use it many times per week - so simple to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.