question about ip flag alert/ how to

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by demoneye, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i understand look n stop is a pure firewall , not hips based and that fine from me .

1) what i want to do is make lets says winamp ask me to every new port he want to gain access, how do i set a rule like that?
    2) does Look n Stop consider a strong firewall compare to Outpost or Zonealram?

i am new in this software so maybe i ask it wrongly

10x

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi demoneye,

With Look 'n' Stop you won't get a popup alert with port/IP information and asking you if you allow that.

You can anyway restrict the port and IP usages for a specific application.
    To do that you need to select the advanced mode in the options, and then in the Application Filtering tab, double-click on an application to get the port/IP dialog box configuration.

To know which ports are used, you have two options:
    - either you select the full log attribute (!!) for the application, and the log will contain the information each time the application connects (note that this "full log" attribute is not supposed to be set in permanently for several applications, it should be used temporarily to investigate one application behavior)
    - or allow a bad port for the application like 0 (or one port supposed to be used, like 80), and then any other ports used will cause an alert in the log, and the application will fail to connect. You can then open the port/IP dialog box and add the required port if needed.

I let other users answer the question about Outpost/Zonealarm. Since they contain HIPS features, maybe it is not easy to compare.

Regards,

Frederic

3. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

10x alot for reply mate , i did like u said all work GREAT, this little lns is very powerfull

i mean compare to zone alram and ouppost and even cis or rising firewall with HIPS DISABLED

hope i was more clear now :thumb:

Last edited: May 22, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.