Question about inbound/outbound

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by noons, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noons

noons Registered Member

Decided to try looknstop again after having some bad experiences with slow speeds with some traffic in version 2.05 with spi on. Running good so far, but I do have a question. I have had experience with many advanced ruleset firewalls such as chx-i and kerio 2x, but looknstops terminology always confuses me a bit. Specifically the rule creation and what looknstop calls inbounds/outbounds. Now i would think that would mean to allow traffic both incoming and outgoing on whatever rule you create correct? So why for example a browser which only needs outbound tcp traffic as its not acting as a server have to be set as inbound/outbound why does looknstop block it if its just set as outbound? Does this have anything to do with loopback of network services and if so why not just offer a separate rule for loopback services?

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Inbound/Outbound is simply a way to apply the rule only on received packets/sent packets or both.
    Most of the time you have to select Inbound+Outbound because connections are bidirectional.
    But for instance if you want to block only incoming connections (server mode) then you have to select the rule on Inbound only.

This has nothing to do with a loopback service.

Regards,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.