Question about GOM Player

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Hey all. I recently started trying out GOM Player and it seems like a great player, but I'm having one issue I can't seem to overcome.

Is there a simple way to delete files from the playlist, or even better, stop them from being added in the first place? Even if you use a keyboard shortcut you have to open the playlist and select the files(s) you want to delete. I've unselected all options that look like they might cause files to be added to the playlist but there must be something I've overlooked. I looked at the GOM FAQ and searched online but couldn't really find anything. I was hoping an experienced user might have some insight into what's going on. Thanks. :)

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I stopped using VLC and Media Player long back after find out about PotPlayer. PotPlayer is the same program as the previous KMPlayer from the Koreans but is a much improved version support 3D-Graphics Card Hardware Acceleration it plays any file you throw at it without the needs for any codecs at super high speed and performance.

I have disabled the library list in it. It also comes with a myriad of built in skins so you don't even need to go looking around for ones.

Read THIS thread for downloads and make sure to read the last post/comment about how to disable PotPlayer from the tray menu.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3743/potplayer.png

http://potplayer.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Daum-PotPlayer-24.jpg

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

VLC v2 has a gpu support but now it has a high cpu consume
    the more light and fast are Media Player Classic - Home Cinema
    full portable , all the codec built in , very fast and 100% portable , very very low cpu comsume

and mpplayer again full portable ,all the codec , even more then the other , very fast and 100% portable , low cpu cosume

may i ask some questions about PotPlayer ?

1) does it feature a powerful playlist manager ?

2) does it feature album art like KMPlayer ?

3) is there a way to have it portable?

thanks
    cheers

4. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I used to use gomplayer too but switched to Aimp3 for music playback. The default settings are better imo, it starts faster and is very very light. I think Aimp3 does everything right from first use without needing to tweak etc.
    For video playback i use Potplayer. Its light, often updated and has brilliant video quality (former Kmplayer).

5. allizomeniz

Thanks for the replies.

I've been using VLC and there are a lot of things I like about it, but there are some things I really hate about it. Mainly, most of the configuration settings don't make any sense to me. I could probably get a lot more out of it if I knew what I was doing.

I tried PotPlayer on Vista but for me it was buggy as hell.

I think I'm gonna stay with GOM for now. It's not perfect but I think I can work with it. It's a lot easier to configure at least. :D

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

7. Beer Dog

Beer Dog Registered Member

Wow, you start a thread about GOM player and it immediately goes off-topic with reviews of other players.

Title of thread is "Question about GOM Player", NOT "What's your favorite media player." Jeezus...

Back on topic:
    I use GOM almost exclusively, but my playlist is blank after months of use. In 'Preferences, General' under the General tab, I've unchecked all the options that have anything to do with the Playlist. Have you done the same?

8. allizomeniz

Yes I did Beer Dog. What version are you using? I've got 2.1.37.5085 (Unicode).

9. Beer Dog

Beer Dog Registered Member

v2.1.37.5085 here also.

My playlist does add titles while GOM is running, but clears itself when I close the program. The playlist is blank when I re-open GOM. Does your playlist carry titles after you've closed and re-opened GOM?

I have logging disabled:
    Preferences-->Others-->Log

10. allizomeniz

That's how mine is. It only adds the currently playing media to the playlist and automatically deletes it when I close the player, I guess that's normal. But if I stop the media it doesn't automatically clear from the playlist. In Preferences>Playback I've got "Close media files when stopped" enabled. It closes the media but doesn't clear the playlist. I'm having a problem playing other files with Media Player unless I manually delete the file from GOM's playlist. For example, I start downloading a movie with GOM, I can't open WMP at the same time to listen to a music file. I've got to stop the download, open the playlist and delete the entry, or close GOM, then I can use WMP. Not really ideal. VLC never did that, at least not on default settings. Logging is disabled.

Since I started this thread I've found some workarounds that I think will work for me. Something GOM seems to do that VLC doesn't do by default is monitor the download as it's in progress. I think that may have something to do with it. For example if you start watching a partial download then stop or pause it, when you restart it automatically includes whatever has downloaded since you stopped it. With VLC you have to reopen the media to get it to refresh.

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

sadly gomplayer needs external codec to play mov or mp4 video file

12. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Nice player, one big problem it calls home. PeerBlock starts flashing when starting Pot Player or a movie (some address in North Korea). Auto updates off. I will stick with VLC.

13. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

:thumb:
    Thanks for info.
    Never noticed PotPlayer phoning home before but you are so right.
    Block rules enforced now.

14. berryracer

How does a media player phone home from your PC?? using what? :eek: What the duck? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Just install PeerBlock and block Korea.

16. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

It opens a port on your system and connects to a remote server. It is called phoning home.

17. berryracer

Ok....time for PotPlayer to DIAF then........

18. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Gom Player is another Korean product that calls home, I think they state this in the "user agreement".

19. allizomeniz

Yeah GOM does, or tries to. I blocked it with my firewall. WMP tries to connect to something too. I don't know if it's just an update check or something more.

When I play MOVs or MP4s with GOM it says it has to have a special codec but then goes ahead and plays it. Not sure what that's all about. I do like that it gives you a link to get the codec so you don't have to waste time looking all over for it, or download a huge codec pack just to get one codec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.