Question about Cyberdefender EarlyDetection 2.0

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Metal425, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Will it conflict with KAV?
    Is there anyway to turn Early Virus off?

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I wouldn't mess with that software. I used it one day to trial and it slowed down my computer noticeably. It seems to have several bugs too in the GUI. Also had lots of script errors, don't know if they are using IE interface or what. I would buy Prevx1 instead. I would even put my money betting that KAV would come out with faster detection definitions of a new virus than Cyberdefender EarlyDetection 2.0.

dja2k

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  3. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

I have a 1 year key for prevx1, It's just that I got a free key for cyberdefender EarlyDetection.
    Thanks for the advice,
    Matt

4. Alan Wallace

Alan Wallace Registered Member

Yes - you can turn it off in the application. Also this is the only software security suite that you can install alongside another software suite.

5. Alan Wallace

With CyberDefender you are able to use more than one solution. This is the first Suite that you can install alongside another suite - so install both and see who finds what for yourself.

As for the bugs - I work for the company - so tell me - what have you found and let us address them. Have you contacted support? Also with all the labs that have tested us - including PC Mag and media outlets such as USA Today - no one has ever stated that we have slowed their machine down. In fact we take less system resources than anything we have seen - so if this truly is the case - please contact us as we would like to help.

Alan Wallace
    CyberDefender Corporation

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks for the info, but I am not interested in testing and reporting any bugs Cyberdefender may have at this time.

dja2k

7. Alan Wallace

I merely meant - if you were going to knock the product and claim that their are issues severe enough for you want to scare our users - than you should tell us what they are.

We are always willing to address issues that users find - but we can't fix what you can't tell us exhists.

Alan Wallace
    CyberDefender Corporation

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ Alan Wallace

I guess it´s that first impression thing, I have it also, when a I don´t like software for some reason (GUI, resource usage, ease of use, features) I normally don´t look back, it´s nothing personal. ;)

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yep exactly the point and like Rasheed187, its nothing personal.

dja2k

10. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Just thought I should add this:

After using Cyberdefender to trial it out a very while back, I just recently turned on the security center on XP and what do you know, I found that the Virus Protection shows "Cyberdefender Internet Security reports its up-to-date". WOW thats odd, I uninstalled it a long time ago and all registry keys related to it are long gone, so now I ask, what did this company do to trick the security center to make it say that.

dja2k

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi all,

I think in general Alan Wallace has a point. I often read post where opinions are stated as facts. It is nice when opinions are backup up by some factual testing.

E.g. I have a lisence of SSM-Pro it is a great program, still I used the free version because it is noticibly faster ON MY PC. Same with Pro Security. Before the buy decision I wanted to purchase Pro Security. It offered the same protection as SSM-Pro, only with lifetime lisence (at that time, I do not know now) and a nicer interface. Because I could not get PS to apply tight rules (it has many options, but every time I added a program, it had 'loose' rules). SSM learns with tight paranoid setttings when wanted. So I choose SSM.

There is a funny pshychological effect when people are making choices. For instance when the above choice between PS and SSM was a 48 - 52 percent decision in favour of SSM . Three weeks after the decision people tend to defend them as a 30 - 70 decision in favour of SSM. This effect even increases over time.

The same applies when you decide not to use something. After a month or so, you only remember the reason which made difference. So in stead of 6 positive and 8 negative issues on your evaluatio list, you only rember the two making the difference. Also their impact tends to grow in importance by a factor 10!

Therefore it is good to keep some reserve in sharing your opinion.

Regards K

12. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Now that is interesting (and worrying). Having installed and uninstalled CD and read your post I took a quick look at the Security Center.

It says I have 'multiple' AV's on the machine, all of which are out of date :blink:

The only one actually running at present is F-Prot (which I know to be out of date as I'm awaiting a licence key) The only other AV installed for a long time was NOD.

Going to uninstall F-Prot just to see what A/V it then says I have running.

13. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

This seems to be a common issue with security center. When I uninstalled NIS2006 and installed Avast and Comodo my security center had similar issues. Here is just one thread about the subject. You have to rebuild WMI's repository folder.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=145412&highlight=dumb
    please see the 4th post.

edited to change link

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  14. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I don't even have that so-called WMI's repository folder anywhere like they mention in that link.

dja2k

15. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Sorry, that was not a good example of what worked for me. :oops: I'm going to edit the link I posted out to the 2nd one in that thread.

This method worked for me in XP home. I'm not sure if your using xp or vista. I'm not sure if the same rules apply.

"In control panel click on Administrative Tools, then Services, from the list of services find Windows Management Instrumentation right click mouse and from dropdown list stop the service.

Find folder C:\windows\system32\wbem, inside this folder identify the repository folder and delete only this folder (the repository folder) from your computer.

In Administrative Tools find Windows Management Instrumentation service again, and re-start the service by right clicking mouse and pressing start from dropdown list. Restarting this service re-builds the repository folder database on your computer, which should now only contain information about your currently installed antivirus & firewall programs.

To reset the Windows Security Centre you must re-boot your computer."

16. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Running RejZoR's Security Center Reset tool in safe mode should also work.

EDIT: The links worked at time of posting. Try PM'ing RejZoR if you want the tool?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I get error 403 here.

18. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Thanks Guys

I'll check out all your suggestions.:thumb:

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Is this thing Vista compatible? I just saw CyberDefender 2.0 Free on a customers notebook back in shop where i work and got curious about it (big surprise hehe).
    So is it?

20. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

It's free. If you consider adware free! :p

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually its "adware" is far less annoying than dreaded Avira's popup. All it does is displaying of advertisement banners in a special area of some windows.
    So technically it's not poping up anything, it just displays ads in existing windows without annoying user with them. I'd prety much prefer Avira to use same method (i've even recommended it once but no one cared at Avira).
    Other than this, it looks nice. And it is Vista compatible too. But i still prefer proven CyberHawk as my "early" detection system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.