Question about copy/update

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Atomas31, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I would like to know :
    Is it possible to create a new snapshot and tell FD-ISR what to put in it? For example, can we say to FD-ISR, make a new snapshot of my system but simply put in it My OS (Windows Xp with SP2 and all his configurations), my internet settings and softwares x, y, z. In other word, instead of making a copy of all our system and strip it down or create an empty snapshot and "build" the snapshot and his composant we want in it, simply a possibility to tell FD-ISR what we want from our source to be copy in the snapshoto_O

If we can do that right now, do you think it will be possible with the next build?

Thank you,

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No you can't do that, FDISR makes always IDENTICAL snapshots and the SOURCE snapshot/archive decides always what the DESTINATION snapshot/archive will be by adding, deleting and replacing objects
    until the DESTINATION snapshot/archive = SOURCE snapshot/archive.

I know what you mean, but FDISR will never be able to do this in the future.
    Keep in mind that FDISR is an Immediate System Recovery software in the first place and the method it uses is so attractive that users start seeing OTHER possibilities, like
    - merging snapshots : snapshot A + snapshot B = snapshot AB
    - creating a new snapshot and tell FDISR in advance what to put together.
    - creating a combination of FDISR and Anti-Malware software, so that snapshots are always malware-free
    - and only God knows what more, my experience with users is that they can be very inventive.

This is asking TOO MUCH, but it might be a good idea to invent a different software that makes such things possible.
    I know that some partition managers are able to MERGE partitions, but I don't know HOW FAR this can go and what it exactly means. This requires alot of TESTING. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What you can do is make a snapshot, and then go into that snapshot, and clean it out. Uninstall and remove what you don't want in it.

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

In that case I recommend a good uninstaller software, like "Total Uninstall" and a registry cleaner, to clean the leftovers of Windows Add/Remove Programs". :)

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

That would be EXTREMELY complicated, if not impossible, just think of the Registry settings alone. But FirstDefense does enable you to install a fresh, clean, install of XP from scratch, remember your very first day of ever using XP, and then you can build your system from there, like you did your very first day. :cool:

Acadia

6. ErikAlbert

Maybe it's possible with nLite, which allows you to install additional programs of your choice along with Windows, but also this requires testing and this could be used in combination with an empty snapshot.
    So Atomas, you have alot of work ahead to make your impossible dreams possible.

Possible tools :
    nLite
    http://www.nliteos.com/
    RyanVM’s Windows XP Post-SP2 :
    http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  7. Atomas31

Thank's guys! Looks like there ain't gonna be easy way out for that one ;)

I am gonna take a look at nlites...

Best regards,
    Atomas31

8. Atomas31

Well, I have made an ISO bootable of Windows XP with SP2 and made an empty snapshot with FD-ISR. Now, when I try to install Windows XP with SP2 in my empty snapshot, at some point, I am ask to put my diskettes call CD of Service pack 1 for windows XP familiale edition into reader A (diskette reader)o_O?

Any idea what is the problem and what I should do?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

9. ErikAlbert

Did you use nLite to create a customized "Installation CD" or what ?

10. Atomas31

I have absolutely made an Installation CD with nlite (winlite.iso)...

11. ErikAlbert

Normally, you use your original "WinXPproSP2 Installation CD" to create a new customized "WinXPproSP2 Installation CD".
    If you don't do anything in nLite you get exactly the same "WinXPproSP2 Installation CD" as the original one.

So the question is what did you do in nLite, because nLite has alot of options.
    Did you include the patches and updates of RyanVM ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.