Question about Cookies?!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ejr, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Comcast is my ISP. I have my 2 computers in my house sharing one internet connection through a network. I run NOD 32 AV, Spysweeper AS, and Comodo Firewall. I am using IE7 in a Windows XP home environment.

1. I have IE7 set up to block all cookies other than session cookies and cookies from sites that I have told it it to accept from.

2. I have CCleaner set to erase all cookies whenever I run the program

3. I also have a cookie delete function in JV16 powertools that erases all cookies.

4. I have Spysweeper set to scan all cookies.

I closed out of my browser, ran CCleaner (this should have deleted all cookies), then ran a sweep. Spysweeper detected 1 cookie. I then opened JV 16 powertools and deleted all the cookes with it's cookie manager function. I ran a sweep and once again SS detected a cookie.

Is this possibly just an error with Spysweeper? Or is there possibly a cookie on my machine that I cannot get rid of?

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Have a look in your cookies folder
    Normally in Document & settings\user name\cookies

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I looked in that folder and all I saw was an index.dat file. What is that?

4. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

My interpretation of it anyone can feel free to correct me
    Its a file the computer makes to help it find things faster so speeds up the operation
    just like the index at the back of a book helps you find things faster

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Download CCleaner it can get rid of all cookies from all browsers.

6. ejr

ejr Registered Member

You know, I have CCleaner and it can't get rid of all my cookies. For some reason, it leaves 4 cookies on my machine. So does the cookie manager in JV16 powertools.

Even after running both JV16 and Ccleaner, Spysweeper still detects 4 cookies. Can't seem to get rid of them.

7. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Don't your progs such as CCleaner give you the cookies address on your PC so you can go there and delete manually.?
    Gordon

8. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Nope, neither JV16 power tools (cookie manager module) or CCleaner give you the address of the cookies. They simply delete them. The bigger issue though is that neither program seems to see these cookies. Both CCleaner and JV16 tell me that I have zero cookies, but Spysweeper detects 4 cookies. Strange!

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nobody really answered this.:rolleyes:

Do you need to delete this? (IE7: Tools->Internet Options->Under browsing history- Delete)

Or 'Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal' (use this with caution though; read what it is deleting/repairing to decide which items to ignore)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.