question about Comodo Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by _ab, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Hi,

I was using Antivir (aka Avira) for years, i had to remove it due to problems with SSM (thanks to Aviras policy of turning on "keylogger protection" by default after updating, causing blue screens, besides the fact, that updating didn´t work properly).

Now i´m testing CAVS Beta. Here are the two questions: what do you think about CAVS? besides of it i´m also using BoClean, SSM & Sandboxie. I turned off the HIPS in CAVS, since i´m using SSM Free. Do you think, it makes any sense in running another HIPS (like that in CAVS) alongside SSM?

Please note: since i don´t believe in the "conspiracy" oder "spyware" theory regarding Comodo, don´t discuss this here! ;)

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

The "HIPS" in Comodo isn't a HIPS at all, just an application access control function. You can turn it off safely, SSM will provide much more coverage than Comodo's "HIPS" does.

Last I tested it, Comodo had a quirky bug that caused its realtime scanner to miss malware that it does have signatures for and the ondemand scan will detect, not sure if it's been fixed yet.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

What do I think about Comodo antivirus?
    I'd wait a while.See how/if it improves over time before depending on it.
    Just my opinion.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I think Comodo AV still has maturing/improving to do and as solcroft has said, SSM (or other HIPS) would do a better job.

5. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Yeah, i´ll leave it off then.

Well, i have BoCleaner & SSM, so i can afford waiting for a better version of CAVS. I´d like to use a free anti virus, & i had too much troulbe with Avira, so i will use CAVS now.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

urrrggh comodo, thats what i think about it :)

7. solcroft

In all seriousness, if you must use a free AV, I'd consider other options if I were you: AVG, avast!, or the free McAfee package from AOL. Heck, even PC Tools' free AV has won a VB100% award before, at the very least.

8. _ab

_ab Registered Member

yeah, thx. I replaced it now with AVG Free.

9. The One

The One Frequent Poster

They have to keep to what they are good at and that's the firewall. They have to leave the av part to the good ones

10. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

CAVS is still in beta and really should not be used as primary or even secondary scanner right now beside for testing purpose. It's detection rate stands at about 40% from the last test I saw and while they keep improving their detection engine and add signatures, it still has a way to go.

If all you need is a good on-demand secondary scanner for free, you can use any of the web based scanner of NOD32, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Trend or others.

If you need an on-access shield then go with AVG since avira is causing you problem, but don't think CAVS will be an effective protection, right now it's not.

Kin

11. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

Hi C.S.J,

As someone using Comodo antivirus, I read your post with interest.

With it still being a beta I do online scans to check. I read about your Dr Web Cure it and decided to give it a try. It didn't find anything of course, but did generate a popup trying to sell your AV, so I am not surprised you are not too happy about Comodo giving us pensioners free security.

12. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Free(and good) security is always great, and Comodo firewall is one of the best, bu their AV detection rate is really not good right now so that's why it shouldn't be used as a primary AV IMO, plus being still beta is another reason. Once a final release is made and it's detection rate is proven to be good,then I'm sure alot of people will finally support it.

Kin

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well i was told to respect the elders, but with comments like that, you aint getting any ;)

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Please lets stay on topic.

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Off topic posts with comments about posters removed. Please stay on topic and not make comments about posters.

Thank you

Pete

16. kenshi

kenshi Registered Member

I've recently uninstalled CAV from my system because it caused Trillian Pro to eradicate my connection profiles to all my IM's (Yahoo, MSN, AOL, etc.). The problems seems to be with the Email Scanner and I heard this has happened with another AV product. Since I love Trillian, I decided that CAV had to go and I wrote of this bug in the Comodo Forums about 2 weeks ago. They are still working on it.

Outside of that I think their Firewall product is very good and I do hope they can fix this problem with CAV. However I do admit that AV is something I don't want to skimp out on and thus for the time being I am using the freeware version of AVG which can be annoying unless you purchase it. I might end up testing Blink as a total solution or purchasing NOD32.

17. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

If tomorrow av test org or avc would show new detection numbers for cav on par with many others very few would bash it today. In a layered security setup such as yours it is just fine. Id say it would make even a better choice then avg. Why? Avg is one of the easiest av s for malware to bypass. Proof? Have a look at your neighbours pc. Avg with firefox is safe? Think again. Seen to many pc s compromised in such a horrible way i cant keep my mouth shut about it.

18. solcroft

True.

The problem is that you're missing a very critical point. I wonder if you can spot what it is. :D

19. GES/POR

No test results tomorrow?

For a new free av cav impressed me and i think only few here could achieve the same.

Personally i welcome every serious fight against malware.

20. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Would you recommend the free Antivir PE Classic instead, even though it doesn't have the malware detection of Antivir Premium, or go the Avast route, AOL McAfee, or a free six month trial of F-secure 2006 as mentioned on another thread?

I was thinking of buying Kaspersky AV 6 for free after rebate until I read the thread about the chkdsk problem.

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Stay with AntiVir ;)

CAVS still needs a lot of work and time, to can be compared with AntiVir or other top AV...

22. GES/POR

I went with Antivir Premium and as soon as i get from holiday i will give the suite and some other products a run.

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

As soon as i saw 6 months free for Premium, i joined the wagon too. :)
    Free versions, i don't know, i think i would stay with Avast!

24. GES/POR

After cleanup i install avira classic, boclean and sas free. Is lighter and more effective combo then just avast.

25. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

I was very happy with Avast before changing it for CAV. I wouldn't have done that without BOClean to support it and have the CAV HIPS turned off as I also am using CPF beta. If I get a problem I know that good support is available on their forum and they have always been able to help when necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.