Q: Odd connection on network

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ArtemisX, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtemisX

ArtemisX Registered Member

I was running through my firewall (commodo free firewall) logs on my computer at work and noticed a weird regular connection. We have 10 or so individual computers all connecting into a main server (it handles emails, emails out to a couple of mobiles, internet & our work files and not that much else).

My firewall shows that one of the other machines on our network connects to 255.255.255.255 at port 23497 every 5 seconds, each time from port n+1 (just increases by 1 every 5 seconds). I might be wrong but im guessing my firewall will only block - or see connections made to myself? - or is it likely that this is some network wide broadcast that only specific computers respond to perhaps?

My only thoughts are either his mobile is setup to check the emails on the server rather too regularly, there is some network monitor on his machine or there is some port scanning type virus/ problem on the machine.

Any ideas what this might be? or what i can dig about to see. The computer this originates from is my boss' so i don't want to bother him about it unless its something serious.

TY for any help.

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

It's a subnet broadcast on the network and absolutely harmless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.