[Public Beta] Returnil System Safe Pro 2011

Discussion in 'Returnil Betas' started by Coldmoon, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi All,
    Returnil is proud to announce the release of Returnil System Safe Pro 2011 Version 3.2.9815.5359-RC1 for public testing. The new version is the next generation of the 3x line with a great deal of improvements, new features, and an all new graphical user interface design (GUI).

Download: http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5841

Release Notes: http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/products/rss/release-notes

RSS Pro 2011 Beta product page: http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/returnil-labs

NOTE: The product page also includes links to other products we encourage you to try and will welcome your feedback. RSS Pro 2011 Beta and the Returnil Multi Snapshot utility can now be installed and used at the same time. This is also true for those testing Returnil Virtual System Lite 2011 and the RMS utility. You can not use RVS 2010, RSS Pro 2011 or RVS Lite 2011 at the same time time.

Thank you to the private testing group for their invaluable feedback and for helping us get to this stage for the new 3.2 series in record time. Please send your feedback to our support team via e-mail to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com.

Mike

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Some questions please:
    1. Has the file protection feature been fixed for XP users? I.e. no more message," File write delayed."
    2. Can the virus guard be disabled?
    3. I see the release notes state the anti-execute function is 'new'.
    How is this new?

Thanks.

3. Coldmoon

1. The File Protection feature was not related to the file write delayed issue. We have however added improvements that should resolve the FWD problem on XP. Please test this and let us know your results so it is verified. If you still encounter this issue, please let us know via support e-mail feedback with the usual logs so we can investigate your specific situation in greater detail.

2. Yes, this has not changed but the Virus Guard Full Scan should now be available on all versions of the RSS line.

3. The AE functionality has been upgraded to include a new setting for greater flexibility and has been moved to the Virtual Mode section as it is tied to whether the virtualization is active or not active.

The new AE option fits between the extremes of "let programs run as they will (free wheeling)" and "don't allow what you don't already know (paranoid)". It allows some things to occur such as adding a browser plugin for example without it necessarily being blocked.

Mike

4. Coldmoon

As a follow up for those who had issues with loosing Windows Restore Points in XP, you will be happy to know that this is addressed through the new System Restore feature.

It is tested on Windows XP and allows specific restore points to be scanned for malware before you attempt to restore. You can also review details about each restore point existing to aide in selection/management.

Future versions of RSS will be upgraded to include the functionality available in the current Returnil Multi Snapshot utility.

Mike

5. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Initial comments/findings:
    I do not use the virus guard. Under Home->Overview there is a
    green bold message, "System Not Protected". There is also a button to
    click "Turn ON Real-Time Protection".
    My preference would be for the Green bold message to be "Virus Guard Disabled". The button to click should be "Turn ON Virus Guard."
    The existing message is very confusing since turning on virtual mode protects the system. Having the current message in the Home->'overview' section implies I am not protected even though I really am.
    Also, in the 'Status' ->Overview section, Protection Status, I believe 'Real Time Protection' should be changed to 'Virus Guard Protection'.

The tooltip on the Returnil taskbar icon which shows: "Virus Guard: Disabled,
    Virtual Mode: Enabled" , is a very nice new feature.

When using the file manager, I am receiving error message in event manager,"
    The volume ID for C: has been reset, since it was a duplicate of that on Z:. This volume ID is used by Distributed Link Tracking to automatically repair file links, such as Shell Shortcuts and OLE links, when for some reason those links become broken." I don't know if this is a real problem or is just a byproduct of virtualization.

Lastly, it would be nice to have file manager save an entire directory without having to list files in the same manner as the LITE version.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Send a report with the same information and the following to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com:

* C:\Windows\rvs3.log
    * C:\Windows\rvs3-inst.log
    * MSINFO32 report**

** Click START > RUN > Type MSINFO32. On the System Information screen
    click FILE > Export and then save the file where you can find it to
    attach to your reply.

Thanks
    Mike

7. Coldmoon

8. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Done.

9. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Thanks for this, as always! I can't get the release notes to download though.

10. caspian

I just installed it but unfortunately it will not work for me. My computer is a Vista 64 bit. I installed it and right clicked to enable and I got this:

1.jpg

I also did not see the option to wipe all disk changes on restart.

11. Coldmoon

Hi caspian,
    take me through the entire process and describe exactly when the error was shown. Does this happen if you uninstall the older 3.1 version first?

Note: Yes, the new should install over the old (except 2008 and RVS Lite 2011 versions) am am checking to see if there is something unique on your system.

Mike

12. caspian

Okay. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it appearss to be working. However, the icon is still green. It did not switch to red when I started "Virtual Mode". I think that I got that failure popup before because I checked the "start virtual mode when I start windows" option before I started virtual mode for that session.

So what I have done is I reinstalled it. And unlike the 2010 version, it did not do an initial scan and restart, and the icon did not automatically appear in the system tray and at the top of my desktop as it use to. So I went to All Programs, Returnil, and click on the Returnil icon from there. I then right clicked the icon which had then appeared in the system tray and told it to start virtual mode. Then I double clicked the icon to open up the Returnil box (or whatever it is called). I checked the "start virtual mode when I start windows" option and it seems to be okay. Except that the icon didn't turn red. I wish it did because when I deactivate it to make some changes every so often, I sometimes forget to re-check the "activate upon restart" option. The red lets me know that I remembered and that I am safe. And of course if it is green then I notice it immediately.

I did an experiment which seems to verify that it is working correctly. I downloaded some zips, joined them (creating a folder), added a bookmark, and installed a Firerfox addon. I then restarted my computer and none if it was saved.. So it appears to be working....although I am concerned that it did not do an initial scan and restart when I installed it, the icon did not appear automatically after install, and the icon does not turn red when I activate it. I will try it on my laptop next. It is a Windows & 64 bit. This one that I am using now is Vista 64 bit.

13. Coldmoon

Try hovering your mouse over the tray icon - do you see the status displayed for the Virus Guard and the Virtual Mode? Also, be sure to vote in the poll for the alert colors and the way they are displayed...

Did the Quick Scan run at system restart? IOW, after you restarted your computer after the install?

Mike

14. caspian

Yes that hovering over the icon works. Thanks for mentioning that. I mean, everything runs so clean and fast that it is impossible to tell that it is active without some kind of indication. I love it.

I did a complete scan, actually. I did get one false positive for hjsplit. It's for joining large files like videos that have been split into sections for uploading.

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

I did see that thread about colors but I thought that was just for the antivirus alert or something. I will go over there and vote. Thanks for all of this. I absolutely love Returnil.

15. caspian

I just installed it on my XP computer. It is working beautifully. I guess the old version was not compatible because I kept getting an error.....not enough dis space or something.....when I was trying to download a lot of files. Or when I was trying to transfer files. But I am now transferring many gigabytes worth of files from one Ext. HD to another and it is running as smooth as silk! I just bought the 3 license subscription. I will install it on my Windows 7 laptop next. It is running beautifully. I love it.

16. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Mike,
    I have been using RSS 2011 since you posted the download links and it is running beautifully.
    However, last night I noticed from Process Explorer that rvsmon.exe was running at a consistent 99% CPU and the only way to stop it was to reboot. This morning I have managed to reproduced the problem and while I have obtained the MSINFO32 report I do not have the C:\WINDOWS\rvs3.log etc files you mention. Will the MSINFO32 report alone be of use with my report to the support team?
    The problem occurred using ChromePlus browser, I am going to try a bit later to see if it happens with Firefox doing the same as I was doing on ChromePlus.

Edit: I have now found some RVS3 logs in C:\Documents and Settings\all users\application data\returnil\rvs3\log - would these be the ones you need?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  17. Coldmoon

Hi DS,
    Yes, the logs have been moved in RSS 2011 to the new directory you note. The rvs3-inst log should also be in the same folder.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.