Proxy settings for Update DL through Firewall

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Mr David, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr David

Mr David Registered Member

Today I installed SpywareBlaster 3.1 but unfortunately did not have much luck with having SB connect to the remote server from which update information files are downloaded.

When I tried an error message appeared that said: !! Error connecting to update server - There was an error getting the update information file from the server. The server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your PC... and so on.

As it happens, I use Sygate Personal Firewall version 5.5. After reading through the various options within SB I am guessing that I need to set-up some sort of proxy access, however, I have not the foggiest idea of how to do this.

Can someone please help me?

Cheers,
    David.

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Mr David - Welcome to Wilders!

Under Updates - Options, try either the first or last options. The first time I updated SWB, I had to use the 'alternative method' to get past a similar error message.

3. Mr David

Mr David Registered Member

Hello Dangitall and thankyou for your reply.

After installing SB yesterday I tried getting SB to pick up the update info files with the first setting on the Updates> Options page selected. No connection to the server occurred and the error message popped up.

Of course, today is a brand new day and when I tried to do an update with the same setting selected it worked first time!

Positive comuter self repair experiences like this are so rare that I feel like hugging someone! Goodness me, a cloud with a silver lining - unbelievable.

By the way, SB is a very cool offering. I particularly appreciate its integration with and support of Mozilla and my newest darling Firefox 0.8. The interface is also well designed: simple, attractive and easy to use. I made a query over in the Firefox Support Forum and one of the respondants pointed me in SB's direction, so I have been fortunate twice over within the space of 24 hours.

Cheers,
    David.

4. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

You're more than welcome - especially where I did nothing! (Gracious of me, wouldn't you agree?!) Good luck and safe surfing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.