protections of spyware blaster - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by spyware blaster, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. please help! i am a new user of spywareblaster 2.6.1! when i first installed the program, there were already some protections checked. the faq says that this means there is already protection for those listed items. is this a result of spywareblaster actually proteting me from those items automatically upon install or did i already have those protections without spywareblaster? in other words, i am referring to question #6 in the faq. what does it mean i already have protection for those items? since i updated right after i installed spywareblaster and applied protection for those updates, i fear my system is irreversibly modified since i did not record what items already had protection. therefore i am hoping that all checked items were the result of spywareblaster's work and not the work of any other program. (especially note that i have immunization from spybot search and destroy and i do not know if that is relevant or not). also, if i ever want to uninstall the program, will it remove the protections that were already checked and in black text when i first installed the program?

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi spyware blaster

A "killbit" is set for all items in black. That is what u saw when u installed SpywareBlaster.

Items u see in red have not had killbit set until u select them.

If u uninstall SpywareBlaster just deselect all items first, uninstall and everything will be fine.

Hope this helps

snowbound

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I' d also like to mention when i installed SpywareBlaster i had items in black already too.

Since then i have upgraded versions several times and never had any problems.

I also have Spybot S&D.

snowbound

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

That's a good point Snowbound! Spybot S&D along with a few other privacy and security tools, also provide similar protection to SpywareBlaster. Spybot even states right inside their Immunize screen that SpywareBlaster provides the same type of protection and more protection in this area than Spybot itself.

If you had ever used Spybot or any other ActiveX protection programs, that is most likely where those "already protected" items came from.

In any case, it is not something to worry about. All items in SpywareBlaster are confirmed spyware items. There is no time that I can think of where you'd need to be worried about these being protected.

5. k i think i get this now. so you are saying that the black boxes were put in by spywareblaster and were not from another program installed prior to spybaster, right?

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

No, we're saying just the opposite... If some items were already checked and in black text then they were most likely put there by another program with the same type of function as SpywareBlaster, such as Spybot S&D, Spyware Guide's spyware list or some other similar tool or set of tweaks that you may have run previously.

But, we are also saying this is not something to worry about. All the items in SpywareBlaster are confirmed spyware items that you'd probably never want to unblock anyway.

Can you tell us if you've ever run any other similar spyware or privacy programs like those listed above? That would explain why some may have been set.

Also note that a large number of the items in SpywareBlaster are tracking cookies set for IE6. If you've ever gone into IE's Internet Options > Privacy tab and entered a cookie to block, or if you've ever answered a cookie privacy alert from IE6 and told it to "always block" one of these cookies, that's another reason some items might have already been set.

Oh, and if you uninstall SpywareBlaster, it does not remove the protections it has put in place. You must specifically tell SpywareBlaster to remove all protections by using the "Deselect All" button, followed by the "Remove protection for unchecked items" button.

7. ActiveY

ActiveY Guest

Happy New Year folks!

I installed SpywareBlaster just recently (great prog, thanks javacool!) and have the same question as spywareblaster. It may sound like a paranoid, but what should I do if things like this happen?

1)protect CLSID={a}{b} based upon old database
    2)protect CLSID={a}{c}{d} based upon *new* database (and {b} is still protected)
    3)over time, CLSID={b} turns into a *good* ActiveX and now you need to install it!

If you know what causes the problem and what exactly is the CLSID you have to "unprotect," then you can solve the situation manually according to this information :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;240797

But how can I know the exact CLSID? Or is there a useful tool for reversing the accumulated changes SpywareBlaster might have done to a PC? Or rather, you really don't need to worry about?

Best regards.

URL tag added - paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.