ProSecurity v1.40 Public Beta 1 Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PSDeveloper, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSDeveloper

PSDeveloper Registered Member

Download: http://www.proactive-hips.com/download/pssetup_140pb1.exe

What's new? [July 14, 2007]
    --------------------------------------------
    1. [NEW] Inter-process accessing control rule supported. This allows user to set which programs are allowed/blocked to access by a program.(Wildcard supported)

2. [NEW] Protect applications from inter-process DDE/OLE/COM commucation.
    3. [NEW] Shutdown protection.
    4. [NEW] Protect system from changing the system time.
    5. [NEW] New learning/installing mode supported:
    1. More Compatibility
    The old versions' learning/installing mode are same as this.
    2. More Security
    This is a new learning/installing way. In this learning mode, programs only learn global rules they needed.
    6. [NEW] New installing mode function, this allow user to set a process running as installing mode during its running period, once it's terminated, the installing mode is removed.
    7. [NEW] All rules except GLOBAL registry/file rules are added a rule creation field, this is useful for checking what's added during a time or during installing/learning mode.
    8. [IMPROVED] It's allowed to change the accessing permission of file/registry's parent directories in the warning box.
    9. [IMPROVED] Copy/Paste functions are related with the clipboard now. So user can share the ruleset with other people very easy now.
    10.[IMPROVED] Clean useless rules function was improved to add an dialog to select the rules need to clean.
    11.[IMPROVED] Improved installing driver detection function.
    12.[FIX] A bug which may cause registry protection was bypassed in v1.30.
    13.[FIX] A file protection function's bug which may cause BSOD.
    14.[FIX] A bug which may cause BSOD while a program uses a very long command line.
    15.[FIX] Other small bugs.

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Download: http://www.proactive-hips.com/download/pssetup_140pb1.exe

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

OK thanks for that PSDeveloper.:)

Will give it a run in a vm and see how it goes.

3. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Bluescreened for me immediately on prosecure.sys. Corrupted some of the program files as well.

4. PSDeveloper

I'm sorry for the BSOD! Could you send the minidump file to support AT proactive-hips.com? Thank you very much!

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Installed and seemed to run ok in an XP vm.

Only other security app installed is Sandboxie.

Didn't commit changes to hard disk though as I won't beta test an app that has a 30 day trial and shows as such at startup.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Franklin has a point. See screenshot below.

Even so I am proceeding to give this beta at least 3 or 4 days of trial. I set it up on a special image -- a precaution I always take when trying betas.

By the way, installing ProSec beta 1 does NOT require a restart -- so you can, if you wish, give it a painless test drive using ShadowSurfer or Deep Freeze or similar.

So far PS1.40b1 is stable & looking good. NO BSOD. My current nickname for this app is Hakuho (shin Yokozuna). :-*

Attached Files:

7. PSDeveloper

8. true north

true north Registered Member

Hi there,

good app, keep going!

True north

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I haven't used PS in a while as the last build refused to run on windows 2003 with sp2. I'll give this a spin and see how it goes.

10. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

working ok for me. Good work
    :cool:

11. xuesisi

xuesisi Registered Member

working ok in 2003 SP2

12. farmerlee

Yeh it installed fine and is running great so far on 2003 sp2. I like the new changes and improvements, its looking awesome.

13. Cadoul

Cadoul Registered Member

Hi,
    it seems great but Kis 6 don't like it.
    Sincerly
    Cadoul from France

14. alfa1

alfa1 Registered Member

ProSecurity v1.40 Public Beta 2 Released!

What's new? [July 30, 2007]
    ---------------------
    1. [NEW] Windows Vista x86 is supported except the network protection function.
    2. [FIX] The warning box can't keep top most on Windows 2003.
    3. [FIX] Several BSOD bugs of v1.40 beta1 fixed.
    4. [FIX] Other small bugs fixed.

Support OS: Windows 2000 SP4/XP SP1 SP2/2003/Vista x86
    Download URL: http://www.proactive-hips.com/download/pssetup_140pb2.exe
    Support Email:support@proactive-hips.com

Any feedback will be appreciated!

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Can anyone offer their opnions how much better beta 2 is compared to beta1?

16. PSDeveloper

Hi Easter, beta 2 is more stable then beta1, for example: all known BSOD bugs are fixed.
    Another change is vista x86(32 bit version) is supported except network accessing restriction function.

17. xStylezx

xStylezx Registered Member

PSDeveloper: The program(new beta) has excellent security as far as i can tell.I unfortunately had to uninstall as the "applications" option in the gui kept freezing up on my vista x86 install.It just started i guess after six hours or so the first day of install.Other than that i had no problems it seemed,other than not being able to get the termination protection to work,which i might have missed something on that option.Would love to use this so any ideas on the applications part freezing would be great,thanks.

18. farmerlee

Ran both betas and they've both worked great on my test system. I haven't noticed any differences since installing beta 2, its been smooth running.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

All my thanks PSDeveloper.

And i like to add an excellent gallant effort on your part to persist with this development which is effectively raised the bar so to speak to overtake this field as ProSec is doing.

EASTER

20. hydenseek

hydenseek Registered Member

Trying out Beta 2. So far it's stable. The only glitch I've experienced is the list of Applications will flicker and go blank for a short while when I first navigate to the Applications page, or scroll through the programs. Somewhat difficult to catch a screen shot of it. If I can, I'll post it or submit it if you like. Other then that, all is well. Congrats. I look forward to further development.:thumb:

21. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

I have made some feature requests there :
    http://www.proactive-hips.com/forum/

GUI :
    -------
    - It would be great to see the executables icons in the Application tab, and not just the file name. For instance
    I prefer sorting the application by "Execution" rights, which gives me 3 groups (Execute, Trust, Load App + Execute),
    and apps icons would make it easier to read the list.

- new icons at the top for Purchase, Lock, New Ver, Help, Forum

- remember columns size upon reboots

- enhancement of the alert window : better button icon/graphic (they look like it was a video game without anti-aliasing)

- enhancement of the alert window : have a different background colour depending on the alert (i.e : blue for registry,
    orange for Termination, yellow for OLE, red for injection/hook/driver installation, etc...).

Features :
    -----------
    - add an option to use MD5 instead of SHA1 (better performances), would be useful on low end computers.

Among all of these requests, the alert window enhancement seems the most critical to me. Often when an alert popup, you have to read it and it's not always obvious what kind of alert it is. If the alert window background was of a different colour depending of the alert type, it would be a lot more easier to know instantly what is happening. Additionaly, this feature is very quick and easy to implement.

Regards,
    gkweb.

22. PSDeveloper

I have read your thread in the forum of PS.
    Thank you very much!
    Some of your suggestions are on the new GUI plan already, such as different colour of alert window and the icons things and other suggestions will be considered too.
    Thanks!

23. PSDeveloper

Thanks Easter!
    What I only want to do is that makes a most powerful protection for our pc.

24. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

As I had suggested on the PS forum, a new Find/Search function to look for any strings within any row/column will be helpful in the Application Rules window. Hopefully the new GUI will be fully sizeable and supports different screen resolutions and font sizes.

Thanks.

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It would be useful to the bad guys, too. MD5 is exponentially easier to subvert than is SHA-1.

MD5 was developed in 1991 and it replaced the earlier hash function MD4 due to believed weaknesses in this algorithm. MD5 is still widely used for the protection of fairly insensitive information. 1996 was a very damaging year to MD5 however, a flaw was discovered in its design and so other hashing functions were suggested. The size of the hash is 128 bits, and so is small enough to allow a birthday attack.

SHA-1 was released in 1994. It was developed by NIST. SHA-1 is slightly more secure than MD5. Hence, it is considered as MD5’s successor. SHA-1 produces a 160 bit hash. The SHA-1 algorithm is featured in a large number of security protocols and applications.

The research team of Xiaoyun Wang, Yiqun Lisa Yin, and Hongbo Yu (mostly from Shandong University in China) managed to attain collisions in the full SHA-1 in 2**69 hash operations. Oh my! If a bad guy wants into my computer's knickers that badly, I suppose he will succeed.:eek:

As for SHA-1 being better for "low end computers" -- from what I was able to find, SHA-1 is at 1580 Mbps and MD-5 at 1970 Mbps -- a speed difference of ~20%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.