Proprietary Video Drivers + Live USB

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

So I am completely sure the reason my video card fans go 100% when I boot from a live USB, is the lack of ATI/Nvidia drivers.

The only time it didn't happen was with Chakra with non-free drivers selected, and checking on DistroWatch confirmed it contains the drivers.

1. I was wondering if these drivers can be installed while booted in a live USB distro.

2. Assuming #1 is possible, where is the best place to get them/what is the best way to install them?

3. Assuming #1 is possible, is there a sudo apt-get type command I could use to get the latest ones?

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

After installation, your new operating system will automatically configure your video card. If you have kept an Ethernet connection to the Internet in live session, the operating system as it installs to your hard drive will download and install the required video drivers.

3. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I'm talking about just in a live environment without installing it to the hard drive.

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

You are able to install drivers, but unless the live USB is setup as persistent your modifications will get lost as soon as you reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.