Proper security for NAS

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by screamer, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I'm wondering... Am I overdoing it w/ my NAS security?

My network has: Office1, Office2 & Office3 (laptop wireless) These are connected to a Belkin Pre-N router, along w/ a Dell DIM8200 used for NAS.
    All the "Office" machines have adaquate protection e.g. Outpost firewall, NOD32, ewido... The NAS has Sygate firewall, NOD32, ewido.

All machines run Win XP Pro SP2

The only internet connection the NAS makes is to update security apps or D/L MS updates.

Does it really need to be protected?

...screamer

2. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

I've followed discussions about this topic on security mailing lists. In general there are two opinions: you always need an AV or you don't need an AV if the system is hardened.

I've thought about this a lot, discussed this with my coworkers and consultants and decided that instead of hardening I now prefer to install an AV on any server.

I've always hardened systems, but this can also introduce problems because you're not using default settings anymore. With Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Windows XP SP2 the default settings have improved a lot.

You never know if you're system is protected against 0-day exploits, even when hardened. In general a 0-day exploits will installl known malware. The AV will then detect this. If your system doesn't have an AV you risk being infected, and this system can then infect other systems in your network.

In my case I'm speaking about AV on a server. Your NAS already has a firewall, AV and AT so I think they're more then adequately protected.

Does it need more protection? I would consider an UPS and a good backup strategy :)

3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Thanks for the info diginsight!

NAS has a UPS and I use Always Sync to back up anything written to it to a 160GB USB HD.

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.