Program to Partially Restrict Computer Access?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by BigCat, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigCat

BigCat Registered Member

Hi all,

I am looking for a software recommendation. I want a good program that will PARTIALLY lock my XP computer. I want to be able to set the default to be that no files or programs can be accessed, but I can easily create a profile that allows access to specific programs (like games, my music player, and the browser for example).

I want it to be secure, yet stable. I want to be able to change from full access to partial access and back again on the fly (via password).

I am on broadband. I leave my computer on all the time and programs are running unattended. I want to be able to run programs while still blocking people's access to them.

I had some guests over for the weekend and, though I normally let my friends use my computer, a girlfriend started snooping around. Also, a couple of my friends are the type who will just start clicking on stuff without understanding what it does. And I want security in case someone breaks into the house and tries to access the computer.

I have a pretty secure computer, running MANY security applications, but none that actually would do much good if someone physically sat down at my computer and snooped or clicked away.

What are some good programs for this? Thoughts?

Thanks,
    BigCat

2. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Personally, I wouldn't tolerate rude and ignorant behavior of that nature. If a person is a 'friend', you shouldn't have to secure your computer when they're around.

Password-protect critical access if you must allow them access.

Disable keyboard by keyboard switch if you must tolerate their presence and they can't be trusted.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

You don't need a program - simply create a new user group and use NTFS file/folder permissions to block that group from accessing important files. Then create users for your "guests" that are members of this group.
    Log out of your full access user and log in to the restricted user - or vice versa.
    XP's Fast User Switching will allow this to some extent (multiple users can be logged in at the same time) but some programs may not function well with FUS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.