Program to kill AIM...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sputnik, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I've a little question, on my gf's work they have a bad system admin (no sys admin :p) and the sons of the boss are playing on my gf's computer when she's done working, they install crap like AIM, this is really annoying because the other day she goes work she has to spend lots of time first to clean up the pc from all the crap...

Is there a program around wich can block AIM from installing? So if she deinstalled AIM and they want to install it again it just gets blocked or doesn't finish...

Thanks alot in advance, this will learn them ;)

2. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Are you allowed to disable file downloads?

3. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

As far I know she has full rights on the computer... But the childeren have too... that's the problem :'(

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Install software install monitor software like the old Cleansweep
    Microsoft's offering perhaps?

5. slim30097

slim30097 Registered Member

Check out majorgeeks.com/Anti-Virus for a utility called AIM Fix 1.0 by Jay Loden. I have not personally used this program - it is described as a consolidated removal tool. I do consider majorgeeks a quality site for downloads. To sum up, cannot vouch for the program but will vouch for the site's high quality. Good site to review new releases & download mirrors very dependable.

Your lady friend has my sympathy - perhaps she can use a roundabout method to disable the IE download function without being obvious & possibly fooling the brats into thinking a system malfunction is the problem. Spybot S&D - Advanced Mode allows the user to freeze IE's internet options (I'm going on memory, using a company computer so cannot check). Unless my memory is faulty, your girl friend could disable the download function and enable the Spybot freeze. Checking or unchecking a box in internet options & Spybot advanced settings is all that would be required to enable/disable the downloading function & prevent anyone else from changing the setting (provided the children, obviously in need of parental supervision, are not familiar with Spybot's advanced settings).

Another solution is to strangle the little monsters & plead justifiable homicide.

The lady must really love her job to put up with this - I would probably put a strong password on the machine & advise the boss's kids to go play in traffic and let the grownups work in peace.

Best of luck,

Slim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.