Program Component Updates

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dwood, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwood

dwood Registered Member

We are considering buying NOD to replace Sophos. The only problem I can find is that it requires a reboot after a program component upgrade has been installed, where as Sophos and Others can uninstall and reinstall with out a reboot.

How do other users in a corporate environment find this?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Administrators can decide if and when to roll out a component update - there's a special option / button in Mirror which must be clicked to approve the roll-out. Also, you can set in the update setup not to reboot a machine so that a component update will take effect after the next reboot.

3. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi dwood:

Coming from a larger size network (2000+), PCUs do not come that often to worry about rebooting. The modules (Advanced Heuristics/Internet filter/Archive Support) are updated on the fly.

Only when changing versions (i.e. 2.000.9 to 2.12.3) is a reboot required.

As Marcos stated, you have the option of letting the PCU take affect after the next reboot (and when it gets distributed) with the administrative version.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  4. dwood

dwood Registered Member

Thanks for the positive response.

Next question. After a program component upgrade does NOD stop functioning (Virus scanning) until a reboot, or does it continue virus scanning but the upgrade won't happen until it has been rebooted?

5. swoop

swoop Registered Member

I don't want to invent trouble, but I've noticed following.

During the time of NOD32 2.000.x, once after the updating program components, the virus database was not propagated into NOD32 modules. Meaning, Event Log was saying that program components and virus signatures (say v1.001) were updated, but AMON was saying that it uses database v1.000.

It seemed that the whole "system" was waiting for reboot. It was on my home computer, thus i had no reason not to reboot. Afterwards, signatures were in place as they should have been. I'll try to reproduce this after PCU of version 2.13.0 will be released.

Maybe it was already fixed, or just it was just glitch specific to my OS configuration(?). However, people @ ESET should check this. I remebreder this just after reading the previous post.

SWooP

6. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

The inability to update the core modules without a reboot has always been a bit of a trouble for me as well, from a corporate environment. Coordinating a reboot when many of your PCs run 24x7x365 is difficult sometimes. :p
    As to the updating question, when the PCU was updated from (I think) 2.000.3 to 2.000.9, the update loaded and NOD continued to function. However, the definitions would not update at all until the boxes were bounced.

I still wouldn't use anything else, though. :D

HTH,
    Jack

7. dwood

dwood Registered Member

Thanks for the positive feedback! :)

Its nice to know other people use it in a corporate environment and have the same niggles. :D

8. swoop

swoop Registered Member

Jack, good to know that you observed the same thing. Now I'm more sure that it was not just my imagination... ;-)

Cheers

9. dwood

dwood Registered Member

Just to confirm I found that one of one web servers which is currently in testing, had received a program component update some time ago and was waiting for a reboot but was still virus scanning!.

Thanks for all the replies anyway! :cool:

Dan

10. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Did you check to see what version of the definitions it was using? As I mentioned, I ran into the same issue. All of my machines were still scanning, but had older defs due to the "Waiting for restart" condition.

Jack

11. dwood

dwood Registered Member

I think it was on 1.838 or something, so yeah it was waiting for a reboot. No a major problem for our clients as they generally reboot there PC each night.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.