ProcessGuard v3.xxx Suggestions / Wishlist

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Jason_DiamondCS, Nov 3, 2004.

1. ambolu

ambolu Registered Member

Not sure if this have been requested before.

Future PG should allow you to block extension(s). For example: Block *.WMF files from running. It does not matter the name, as long it ended with *.WMF it stops right there.

2. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I haven't used any of the versions of Process Guard. Why? Becuase I am intimidated by it. Same reason I won't use Jetico or Outpost pro firewalls. All of these programs are probably excellent security programs, I just don't have the technical knowledge to run them.

So I would like to see a version of Process Guard that makes most of the decisions for you. Supposedly Prevx has done this with PrevxABC mode. Blackspears settings do this for NOD32. Sure would be nice to see a newbie friendly version of PG. Of couse, you must keep in mind that this is coming from someone who is too intimidated to even download and try the current version.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

It already does - via its Learning Mode feature (which creates permissions for any program that you run). Of course, you have to switch off Learning Mode before you can gain any protection since malware would be given access also (which is why DiamondCS recommend installing PG on a clean system).

4. StriderSkorpion

StriderSkorpion Registered Member

Would it possible to add detection and prevention of OLE automation of an application as used by PCFlank's leak test? Also, what's the likelyhood of implementing an API protection scheme? Such as disallowing SendMessage to be used with Internet Explorer as is done with the first breakout leak test and some trojans.

5. Ontrack16

Ontrack16 Registered Member

Allow programs to run between xxxx and yyy

Maybe it's not the goal of the program.
    I think it's techniques could be used for management purposes.
    Eg allow programs (eg solitaire.exe) to run between xxxx (12.00) and yyyy (13.00)

Will come in handy in offices so people don't eg play or chat during work hours and only during breaks are outside office hours

6. Ontrack16

Report intrusions to an administrator

When an intrusion is detected somewhere on my LAN, a message should be send to an "administrator".

The message could be an email, a popup, an event written in the event log, maybe even sms ?

I imagine messages like :
    "User xxxxx on computer yyyyy has tried to run program zzzzzz"

7. Ontrack16

Silent installation

I would like to get the program installed on new computers automatically.
    Installation now requires licence agreement, clicking next, ..
    Could this be automised so I can get an installation by a script or something similar

8. Paranoid2000

Re: Allow programs to run between xxxx and yyy

These features, while possible, would require a significant expansion of Process Guard and would be of little benefit to its current user base. On the other hand, they would be of great benefit to businesses and corporations looking to secure their networks.

Whether DiamondCS wish to tackle this market, I cannot say - but it would require significant additions to PG (automated installation, centralised configuration and monitoring) while recent changes have focused more on its internal workings.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

PG should have a feature to scan your start menu and maybe desktop too for programs. it would be much faster than using learning mode.

10. Paranoid2000

This wouldn't offer much benefit unless PG was to actually run each program listed - it would have no way to determine what special permissions (install driver, etc) were needed otherwise. A better option IMHO would be the ability to prompt whenever a program attempted such access and suspend it pending a user reply (at least 2 other programs offer this).

11. WSFuser

i should have clarified: i would just want the apps to be added to the security list.

i would manage special permissions myself.

12. WSFuser

ability to import/export PG settings (the lists). Currently you can backup pguard.dat and pghash.dat, but i would like an easier method. especially one that isnt version specific.

13. LeeH

LeeH Registered Member

Please add these features to Process Guard:

1) Option to add Process Guard currently running services to protection list on new version installation, general currently running processes as a separate option, or both together as a third option.

Therefore, if using the Autoblock of new/changed progs, then you won't forget to update PG checksums and won't be locked out from the main GUI.

OR some way for PG to auto recognise itself.

2) Blocked execution items reported separately to those allowed - so they are not missed (can then be easily detected by user)

3) RE: Auto allowed processes (which cannot be blocked) or warnings - clearly show what files these are

Thanks so much.

Best regards,
    Lee.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  14. bloodscourge

bloodscourge Registered Member

Hi,

I will switch from a monocore to dualcore processor this weekend. One major problem is core affinity settings, so I thought : ProcessGuard could be a good way to set core affinity on application launch (and even remember settings...:))!

What it could bring :
    - bypass old application incompatibility with multicore processors,
    - segment ressources : reserve one core to services & security apps (set affinity on windows startup)

If ever integrated, I understand it won't be a top priority but... :)

15. brucemc

brucemc Registered Member

For long-time users who have senility problems...

Sure would be nice if we had a utility much like a registry cleaner that would go through all of our Protection entries and Security entries, as separate lists, and advise which entries no longer exist!

Should be pretty simple for some one out there, even apart from the program's writers, to develop such, but as I have gone over the deep end between failing financial matters and having four daughters, I can't pinch-hit this one...

Oh. And if someone would be so kind as to tell me what the heck are "GLOW" tags and what options are available, I would at least feel like I got smarter...

16. LeeH

LeeH Registered Member

Just to add critical updates that I am sure DiamondCS are well aware of, please add:

1. BETTER TERMINATION PROTECTION AGAINST NEW METHODS

2. BETTER HOOK PROTECTION AGAINST KEYLOGGERS

Thanks very much for your attention to any improvements with these.

Best regards,
    Lee

17. Silo24X

Silo24X Registered Member

Don't know if this has been suggested yet:

Ability to drag 'n' drop an entire folder onto the PG screen and have PG automatically checksum everything in it and add them to the protection list. This would be great for folders with large amounts of .exe files and such. Also the ability to ignore entire folders all together would be nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.