ProcessGuard Suggestions / Wish list

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Pilli, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Re: Process Guard Suggestions / Wish list

Anyway to password portect PG so the kids can't play with it? If not would be nice.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Chris12923

Also would be good to right click on systray and have option to quickly disable protection for when installing new system software etc.

Also in my last post I mentioned password. i meant when using block new or changed programs you could enter password to start and stop that feature. Kids and malicious people couldn't mess with it.

Just thoughts,

Chris

3. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Chris12923,
    Yes, a password-protected easy-to-use LOCK feature has been incorporated into PG v3 already. This way your kids will only be able to run the programs that you've allowed.

Yes again, a right-click menu has been added to the systray icon, which includes several submenus including one that allows you to easily enable/disable protection.

Best regards,
    Wayne

4. Chris12923

Love to hear it.

Thanks,

Chris

5. Chris12923

Sorry for the 2 posts in a row but thought of another one. What about having the systray icon change colors when PG is protection is turned disabled?

Thanks,

Chris

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

It does chris in the latest beta. ?

7. Chris12923

hmm. Mine stays red all the time. Unless it blocks something then it blinks and sometimes it turns blue but not very often and I am not sure what blue means.

Thanks,

Chris

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Working here.

Nick

Attached Files:

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Chis, Blue means an alert has been added to the alert log.
    When PG is disabled then the ico shows a X through as in nick s's screenshot.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I'd still like to see an option for auto-scrolling the alerts window.

11. Chris12923

Here is mine after unticking protection enabled and hitting apply. Is there something else that needs to be done? Hope this isn't off topic. If it is I will start another thread.

Thanks,

Chris

Attached Files:

• PG.jpg
      PG.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Chris that is not the latest beta. A new beta was made available today, you need to visit the Members area to download it.

HTH Pilli

13. Chris12923

Thanks Pilli. D/L new version and fixed it. I just got my pror version yesterday so I didn't think they have new one that fast. Love the new look too. Love everything :)

Another wish that may have been mentioned. Check for update?

Thanks,

Chris

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Great! There are still a few bugs to sort out before public release but it is getting there without a doubt.
    Just keep reporting any more nits you find.

Pilli

15. rodsoto

rodsoto Registered Member

My next PG wishlist...

I would like PG to purge all programs in my execution list that haven't been used in X amount of days.... I usually go through the list on a weekly basis and remove unwanted applications that have been executed once or what not.....

That idea would be great if implemented...

Rodrigo

16. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there :rolleyes:

Here is a PG Wish List Item:

Whilst it adds a level of complexity I was wondering whether there might not be scope to add functionality to a future release of PG3 that allows a 'white list' which records which applications require which processes to have the Terminate privilege over other protected applications, then if some other, unauthorised program tried to use the process that has the Terminate privilege illicitly PG3 would warn, asking if the user wanted to allow once or always (add the program to the 'white list') or block once or always, etc.?

This might also be expanded to cover other potential privileges, such as Install Driver/Service, given to windows processes, ie, services.exe, that are legitimately required by some applications written to use this facility rather than starting them on their own. In this case the is once again the possibility that such privilege could be mis-used by underhand applications, as the current setting is a global grant, rather than specific to the application originally requesting it (and probably validated by the user).

This suggestion is based on the discussions in a couple of other threads thrown up by some programs requiring these facilities, ie, NIS2005, plus a few other not mentioned by name.

Hope that you good people at DCS get my drift on this one otherwise get in touch and I would be happy to expand on this.........always assuming that you do not already have something like this up your sleeves for later on? ;)

Best regards

Baldrick

17. Chris12923

I would like to see the ability to select multiple items in the protection tab.

Thanks,

Chris

18. Lou_Dinunzio

Lou_Dinunzio Registered Member

In Alerts window all commands that are NOT allowed, be displayed
    in Bold red. For older eyes like mine.

I believe the previous version had this feature.

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I like this idea, too. The easier it is to spot what you want to see quickly, the better.

Did I mention auto-scrolling the alerts? :)

20. xnij

xnij Registered Member

On 'wishes'. Is there any chance please of an 'apply' button on the protection panel so changing settings will apply without having to reload...

Am I missing something here? - I assumed an 'apply' would not be needed - but on experimenting with the way PG handles NAV, I found I had to EITHER reboot after changing the protection permissions on services.exe OR disable protection on the main menu and 'apply' to allow services.exe to modify Navex15. I would prefer to only permission services.exe long enough to modify/install, rather than disable PG.

Many Thanks :)

21. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I'd like to see a list of trusted apps that wouldn't be scan by checksumming!

Atomas31

PS. : This will resolve a lot of alerts from program that are starting with random key at every startup (to protect themself from malware) like the new version of Anti-Keylogger 5.3.

22. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Hi xnij,
    can you check if this applies just to NAV or to other protected apps as well. I also thought APPLY shouldn't be needed on the protection panel. If it's just NAV, maybe that's an issue for a(nother) separate NAV thread and not for the wishlist.

Thanks in advance,
    Andreas

23. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

This will resolve alerts only for apps that are in effect modified, f.ex. by online-updates, but not for apps that are basically unmodified but go by a different name each time.

(Personally, I would say for the former that I don't think it's necessary to suppress alerts on updates, but I'd just rather have them as a sort of an additional info that the update was happening/successful; for the latter I think this is a more or less stupid way of trying to protect oneself anyway and there shouldn't be spent much effort supporting it either. But that's just my personal opinion (both of what I said), YMMV.)

In the latter case, however, how would you tell PG which app to "trust"? - not by the app's name, that's for sure. (And I don't think there is any other "key" except for name and checksum in the play (yet), is there?)

Andreas

24. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

As Paranoid2000 pointed out in this thread, one could think of some regularly checking whether all the hooks are still in place.

On the one hand, if there is something that gets past all those defense mechanisms (maybe by social engineering and getting the user to allow bad bad bad things to happen), then chances are it is already targeting PG itself (why else spend so much effort to get past all of them, and when it does do this, and when it also got past (because, as we're assuming here, the user allowed it to), chances are PG itself would not even be in the state of performing such a self-check anymore :sad:.

OTOH, it would raise the level of confidence of the user to know that PG has yet another way of looking after itself, and to know that we'd get an alert if somehow -- no matter how -- one (or a few) of the mechanisms were out of order. And I assume it would not be that difficult to implement.

Not very high on my priorities, tho.
    Andreas

25. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

My wish for the Alerts, Protection, and Security list box window is to have them gain focus when the cursor is hovering over it so the mouse scroll wheel would work without having to first click on an entry. My thinnking is this would help speed up browsing/searching these lists. If this was suggested earlier thnks to the person that suggested it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.