Process Lasso update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Victek, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

While i had the activation issue ,in all honesty i cant see why you would not welcome the devs continuing input into his program ,making it better and more functional.For example why would you regard an "updated german translation" as a problem.?Im not german but i dont begrudge the dev making process lasso better for german speaking users.Looking at the changelogs ,they all seem relevant to me.Most of the updates are actually enhancements and fine tunings with very little bug fixing.As a user of this software for a number of years ,i can say its currently the best (though i prefer process tamer for older single core cpus),and a few of the "big boys " have tried to emulate its features ,but they are not a patch on PL.Its relativley bug free ,and if there are bugs they are fixed quickly.Devs like JC are few and far between ,though here at wilders we are lucky to have more than our fair share of them :)

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

These minor updates could be combined into one monthly update, which will be convenient for everyone. It will also give the needed exposure to the program itself.

I am neither begrudging anything nor I am suggesting that the program shouldn't be constantly developed. What I am suggesting to combine these minor updates such as enhancement and fine tunings into one timely update.

What does updates such as enhancement and fine tunings mean!

Best regards,

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  3. ellison64

Well yeah there could be monthly or perhaps 6 monthly updates? ,but thats the devs perogative isnt it? ,and I personally think its up to him seeing as hes the one who puts all the hard work into it.Theres 2 other devs in the firewall section who also (quite rightly imo) update their software as and when they see fit.All i can say to you aladdin ,is that the process lasso dev has included an option that allows you not to ever check for an update.If updates bug you that much ,why not just tell process lasso never to check for an update?

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Completely agree. :thumb:

Personally I do not find the way updates are done or presented...or their frequency a problem.

5. aladdin

Dear Ellison,

No one is saying it is not the prerogative of the developer and no one is saying that the program shouldn't be developed on a timely basis. As a paid customer I have a right to give my opinion on the program.

Having said that, constants updates two to three times weekly tells us that:

1. These updates are only to gain exposure to the program.

OR

2. There is problem with programing which requires this constants two to three times weekly.

Are these two to three times weekly updates fake or real?

If they are real, then how can I avoid to install them. If I don't I might be leaving a security hole in my system or accused as such.

Best regards,

6. ellison64

You seem unwilling to accept (for whatever reason) a third reason for updates which is to add features, improve the footprint, user friendlyness enhancements. etc.etc.If all you see is fake updates and bad programming then why are you using it.The changelogs are available and clearly state the reasons for the updates

7. Baldrick

Aladdin, without wishing to appear rude, you are starting to sound like a record that has got stuck.

We get it but just about all (at least based on my view of the other posters to this thread) disagree with you.

And in the final analysis...the developer will do what he wants to do, how he wants to do and when he wants to do it...mindful of what the customers are saying...but true to his plan for the app.

8. aladdin

How often an average program gets updated? Two to three times a week?

9. mattbiernat

mattbiernat Registered Member

so what's difference between full version and free version? does the free version still work after the trial expires?

10. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Yes. Core feature of Process Lasso works like a charm in FREE version. For that you don't need PRO version.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Here is a detailed description of the features available in the free Vs paid versions:

https://bitsum.com/prolasso_purchase.php

Regarding running the free version, you do have to click on it each time the program starts to enable it. I believe it's meant to encourage people to buy a license, but if you don't mind that there's lots of functionality.

12. mattbiernat

Process Watchdog (memory and CPU limits)
    Instance count limits
    CPU throttling
    Anti-sleep processes
    Keep processes running
    High performance power scheme processes
    Core engine as service
    TweakScheduler tool
    MultiMedia Scheduler

Yeah, I've seen that but I have no idea what these features provide. I wish the website had at least short explanation underneath each tool.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Have you tried Process Lasso before? It can be tweaked at a deep level, but it runs very well in automatic mode (Pro Balance). It keeps my dual-core laptop responsive to mouse and keyboard input even though I run quite a few programs in the background, especially when it's starting up and everything is vying for the CPU.

14. mattbiernat

Yes of course, I love process lasso. I am running it right now. My computer has slow CPU but everything else is maxed out, including SSD and 6GB RAM. Thanks to process lasso, my computer freezes very very rarely. My process lasso is set on automatic? I hope... I haven't changed anything after installation. I am wondering if after the trail period expires if process lasso will still work as well. I wouldn't mind buying it but $27 is quite a bit. I want to wait for a discount and Im also not sure what is the advantage of the pro version.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

By default "Pro Balance" (automatic mode) is enabled. I haven't used the free version, but just let the trial expire and see how it compares.

16. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi Victek123, Pro Balance feature works like it should in Free version. Their action is done in background without user intervention. This is my experience when using Free version. So the Proc. Lasso main feature is avaliable to free users.

Nag screen only comes out when user open the GUI - that is not needed to PL work in background.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Updated to 6.0.1.6

Changelog here:

https://bitsum.com/changelog/pl/changes.htm#latest

This is a significant upgrade from the previous stable version ( 6.0.0.98 ) and worth noting (at the risk of feeding the trolls). The ability to adjust CPU Core Parking is now fully implemented. This is a useful feature for those running multi-core CPUs, which is probably most of us at this point.

18. aladdin

Shame on you for the language you used!

19. jcollake

jcollake Registered Member

I'm glad to see people discussing Process Lasso, whether they like it or hate it ;). I've tried to offer automation features I personally find useful, such as Energy Saver - which can change the power profile when the PC goes idle for only seconds. Thus, you can run at High Performance all the time, but go back to Balanced when your PC is idle. The number of automation features is extreme these days, and continues to grow.

ProBalance also grows. It can now take all sorts of optional, temporary actions on 'offending' background processes.

The GUI, perhaps the ugly part of the software, I've been working on, and the current beta already shows a lot of promise. I will continue to improve this software until I die, even if nobody uses or buys it ;p. It is what I do, and I like doing it.

For some, you will have a use for it. For others, you won't. For still others, there are competitors that may work better for you. For those that use Process Lasso, free or paid, I thank you .. and I think you made the right decision ;). You'll see nothing but improvements as time passes, and that's the best part of all.

I do apologize for the brief (non-timed, click past) nag shown on trial expiration. I will work on documenting better the full extent of those features, but basically the reason they sound obscure is because they ARE obscure ;p. The features people use most I kept free, a decision that probably isn't best for me, but ... as I said, I enjoy simply knowing that people are using my software.

(latest beta screenshot 6.1.0.19 beta) - illustrating the beginnings of a lot of new UI work
    http://bitsum.com/images/external_links/pl_06000119.png

EDIT: I apologize if this seems like an ad, but if I must come to defend the honor of my software, I figured I'd throw in its good points ;). Considering that there is *real* snake oil software out there with truly fake updates, I hate the fact that my software is even mentioned in the same sentence as either accusation. Any even semi-close observation will reveal the truth of Process Lasso's legitimacy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  20. jcollake

Oh, and aladdin, I apologize for letting you down. Indeed, I could have handled the change in licensing enforcement last month *much better*.

Frequent updates are issued simply because there is so much activity. I am very active, passionate about my work, and have a rapid release cycle. The finals have a lesser release frequency.

You can now choose how often to check for updates, if at all. I can't remember the last update that was *critical* to having. Most implement new features, update languages, and fix minor comsetic things. Rarely, if ever, is there one important enough that you need ASAP. If that is any consolation.

I apologize for not keeping up with this thread better. I try to stay out of the fray because it is very distracting for me. I get a bit sensitive when talking about my software, and my personal preferences as to its release cycle, etc... I do the best I can as a developer, and do what I think is best.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  21. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

I must say the documentation that the developer has created is very nice and structured in detail, and is indeed invaluable in understanding the processes better.

22. jcollake

Thank you, that is very nice. I wish I could say I thought the documentation was as good as it should be, but I need to work on it some more. It's always a process :)

23. Baldrick

Hi jc

Nice of you to dip in again. Personally I do not think the GUI is ugly...just could do withg a bit of modernisation, etc...but what app does not need that from time to time...and I much prefer a beautifully working app like PL then once that looks great but does not work great.

As to apologising for not dipping in more often...no need IMHO...stay as you are if it is distracting/taking you away from what you enjoy and ultimately what is of most benefit to the app (one and the same apparently ;) ).

And finally thanks for clarifying the reasons for the PL update 'cycle' or frequency...hopefully that has put that debate to rest definitively.

Yes, I am a fan (and a license holder)...but then again IMHO there is nothing that comes clsoe to PL and what it does (oh, oh...I sense that I may have started something here...;) ).

Regards

Balders

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Good to see you here from time to time :)

Regarding the current beta (6.0.1.23) I'm noticing the graph no longer flickers - that's a nice improvement. :thumb:

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.