Process Guard & Giant AntiSpyware

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by worldcitizen, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I recently bought Giant Anti-Spyware and after installing Process Guard got a blue screen not long after so I uninstalled PG. I kept getting a message:

'dr watson postmortom debugger error'

and explorer kept crashing. I uninstalled PG and it was ok again. At another time I tried again and gor the same message and crashes but also got a BSOD and my PC was never ok again and I had to restore an image so I left off installing PG for the last few weeks. During that time (nearly 1 month) I've been running with Giant installed and no crashes or problems and no instability or BSOD's so I'm pretty sure that Giant is safe and stable but the situation seems to change when PG is installed.

Giant makes a lot of changes to security settings in Windows and I was wondering if this might conflict with PG. I'd love to have the protection of PG so can anyone have a good look at Giant and see if there could be conflicts or does anyone know of any problems?

I'm really looking forward to using PG for a long time now but I just have to iron out this problem first.

I have one other question - I don't receive emails when someone replies to a post. Is there any way of turning this on or is there such a feature because I forget sometimes what and where I posted and I don't get notified if there is a reply.

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

Dave

2. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

I've been using Giant Spyware trial with PG 2.0 on my XP box for over a week now with no problems. Sorry I can't be of much help. o_O

For your email question, Go into User CP, Edit Options, Messaging & Notification, Default Thread Subscription Mode.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dave, User CP - Edit options for notification.

Sorry do not use Giant but then if I had the choice it would be Process Guard over ANY other security program

What I can suggest is that you either try the latest public beta available in the Members area or wait for the full V3 release.

Process Guards new learning mode is awsome, CMH now works as it should and even the possible services vulnerability has been solved though that is not in the public beta.

HTH Pilli

4. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hello Dave....what security changes are made ?

5. worldcitizen

Clowny and Pilli, I must be the silliest person to ever join this forum. I searched for ages for the option to be notified of new replies but never saw the drop down menu. I must be a 'leftist' because I never looked on the right hand side and missed it so many times. (well, all right - everytime!!)

You know what they say:

'There's one born everyday' - and I am it!!! LOL

Clowny - did you use the innoculation featureo_O The reason I ask is because I think I had the problems then but it might have been anything. If you are using the innoculation feature have you been using it without any problem?
    I really like Giant as an anti-spyware - it's got some really good features and they will be adding more. Some really very good extra tools too. Worth the money for me.

I use Giant for spyware and it was never ever considered as a substitute for PG because it's functions are to do with spyware mainly. My sister got a dialer on her PC and her phone bill came the other day and she had an extra $70AUS on her bill with calls made to AUSTRIA!! She never makes international calls so lack of security has cost her a packet.

She re-installed Windows today to clean out the bug and this time the first thing she did was to install her security programs -she learnt the hard way.

Dave

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Dave, Look for this under edit options:

Default Thread Subscription Mode: When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

To the right of that is a drop down menu Select: Instant email notification

HTH Pilli :)

7. worldcitizen

just got my first email. Thanks. The last 2 emails must have been replied to just a few seconds before I had saved the settings so that might explain why I didn't receive any emails but I got this one - makes life a lot easier.

If I have appeared not to be courteous by not replying previously, I sincerly apologise to you all - also if I stirred a bit too much. LOL.

Do you know when the final version with all the fixes will be released? If it's not too far away I might wait.

Dave

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Should be very soon Dave, Jason is just getting rid of the final nits and incorporating as many of the wish list as is practicable. Such as an alert ballon tip pop up above the Process Guard icon, when clicked this takes you straight to the alert, this is switchable if not required. ;)

Cheers. Pilli

9. rodsoto

rodsoto Registered Member

Brilliant!!!

10. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Dave ? ;)

11. worldcitizen

There are quite a few - too many to post here so all I can suggest is when someone has time to have a look at it. It has an innoculation feature and so many other changes are made but I can't just cut and paste them all as there are too many of them. I tried a screenshot but the forum wouldn't upload it.

The best way is to download a copy but I don't want to put anyone through all the trouble. However, just out of interest it's worth having a look at because it's a real cool Anti-Spyware program that has a lot going for it.

Dave

12. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Which version of ProcessGuard are you using? You might also want to try and see if ProcessGuard ALONE (ie. Without Giant AntiSpyware) on your system still gives you issues.

13. worldcitizen

Hi Jason,

I was using the latest version which is the current latest available.

If the final version is out soon I'll give it a go then. I don't personally think that either alone has conflicts but together maybe because Giant accesses a lot of security settings and I think the problem began occuring when I disabled Giant's protection and then enabled it again a couple of times (just fooling around). There probably was no need to do it but I think that maybe the access it had before PG was installed it could not obtain once PG was there and that might have stuffed up things a bit.

With Giant - what sort of permissions should I give it in PG?

Also, thanks very much for taking the time to reply - I know you guys are very busy trying to get TDS 4 out in time for SANTA to deliver and I can hardly wait. :p :p :p
    Regards

Dave

14. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

Yes I did, with no problems either.

Hope you find a solution to your problem!

Clowny

15. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

I never did give Giant any special permissions in PG to run normally. I never thought of that before, so I ran Giant at startup, checked the log viewer in PG, & noticed nothing special.

Attached Files:

16. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I am pretty sure this issue is now resolved in the latest private BETA. Another spyware application also had this issue, so both of them must be using a similar technique.

17. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

hmmmmmmmmmmm miune work good i wonder if the final really going to be so much better cause right now mine runing perty damn well

18. jpc

jpc Registered Member

I'm using Process Guard V3.000 Beta 2 (registred version) and I'm trying Giant antispyware.
    All is right with Giant real-time protection but if I try to run a Giant scan with Procees Guard protection enabled, my computer reboot after a few seconds. The scan is all right if procees guard protection is disabled. Any suggestions ? Thank's

19. worldcitizen

I have Giant anti-Spyware and I haven't used them together yet with PG out of learning mode so I can't answer that but Giant said yesterday that PG would have to give some sort of special permissions to AS scanner for it to work when I asked about compatibility. Giant AS is just like an anti-virus so it must be given the same privileges as there is a realtime scanner as well as the program itself.

I hope Jason can answer this.

Dave

20. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

I have tested Giant Anti-Spyware with the latest private BETA and it runs fine here :). Inocculation, Scanning and the real-time guards caused no problems whatsoever.

Regards,
    Jade.

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also tested Giant with the latest private beta of Process Guard. Installed it in learning mode, and then turned learning mode off and ran thru a complete scan, did the inoculation, and I as type the real time protection is on. Giant and PG are at peace with each other on my machine, with the latest PG private beta.

Note Before I installed Giant, I uninstalled Spybot,Adaware,Spywareblaster, and Spywareguard.

These programs must be working as my machine came up with 0 infections.

Pete

Edit: I took out my off topic question. Pete

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  22. poogimmal

poogimmal Registered Member

I already had Process Guard 3.0 beta1 installed and running very stable on my w2k, and I installed GiantAS the other day and it ran ok with no problems (other than Giant's own internal false+ errors) They seemed compatible here, but I uninstalled GiantAS after 3 days for reasons having nothing to do with PG. I would certainly trash GiantAS long before I'd ever consider uninstalling PG.

23. worldcitizen

I installed PG today and on the 1st scan Giant did my PC rebooted. I've used Giant and scanned everyday many times but this was a scheduled scan and with PG on my PC it just crashed so I don't know what happened.

All was well for weeks until PG came on the scene. The last time I installed PG I got a BSOD so I uninstalled it and for weeks my PC ran fine without any errrors. Now I install PG and only hours later a crash and reboot.

For the past few weeks Giant has worked immaculately, that is until I installed PG. It just began it's scheduled scan at 2am and in 2 seconds my PC crashed. The only 2 crashes I've had on my PC in 2 months has been when PG is installed. Other than that my PC runs fine so I'm disappointed.

I ran a second scan after the crash and giving memory access to Giant because it scans memory so maybe that's what it was but I need to know otherwise PG goes on the shelf again.

2 installs of PG = 1 BSOD and 1 crash & reboot. No dump file. There was nothing in Dr Watson. No errors in Administrative tool logs either.

I'm disappointed again. I just don't know if it's worth the trouble.

Dave

24. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dave, I have replied in your other thread so that we can try and keep it all together so I will close this thread now.

Many other users have not experienced any problems with Giant so it is possibly your set up and we shall try and resolve it.

Here is a link to your other thread. Thanks Pilli

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=51245

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.