Process Guard disabling alternative-shell (right-click desktop) menu

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by stalker, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Yeah, I am totally convinced about this now. I am using bb4win (Blackbox for Windows), and it did happened few times now (when enabling/disabling some of Process Guard protection "parts")

The strangest thing is, that I haven't completely discovered WHICH protection (Close Message Handling, Global Hooks, or Drivers/Services Installation) is causing that, cause even disabling all protection (also terminate methods, and not only those under ... Protection -- General Protection Options) the menu is still unavailable, it becomes accessible again only after I first disable those protection options, and reboot my computer.

Does anyone has any clue what couls be the actual reason for that problem ??

P.S., Also I must mention, I am still using 1.300 version (FREE), and not 2.000, cause it was somehow conflicting with my system, and at that time, I was first trying it, I often changed paths of my most used programs, so I needed to delete those entries that appear all the time (entries in that new "protection feature", I forgot what is it called)

For more detailed info, see my thread about this at Loose-Screws forums:

Right-click menu on desktop not working anymore

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

This could be blocking global hooks, which you shouldn't do unless you allow hooks for your programs you use.

You should be using 2.000 though, there should be no conflicts if 1.300 works right, as long as you disable, close, uninstall the old version AND reboot before attempting to install the newer version.

3. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Thanks, Gavin !!

That "new protection feature", I mentioned was those program checksums, added very often to Process Guard UI. As I mentioned, I am always opened to other explanations, and now I remebred, that probably really it wasn't Process Guard fault to screw my system at that time ...

It was probably some command line utility called Make Service. Here I am posting few details about my problem at that time from some other forum:

Well, I found one program some time ago, which do exactly this - it runs any program (that you choose) as a service.
    The application is called MakeService (original file from their site is MakeService0.95-beta.zip), and it is from Bitsum Technologies, it is short (108 KB), and simple commandline program. If someone wants to test it on MBM5 also (well I didn't) ...

Well, I must also say, it crashed my system once, when I set some program to run as service, I apperantly shouldn't. OS became un-bootable. Well not exactly, it was running since you stroke the first key.
    Yeah, and before I noticed that (I always stroke a few keys before OS loaded, to speed up my double-booting system) I manually deleted some drivers, I though they were causing that (Process Guard driver, and driver from my keyboard "advanced/additional buttons") in DOS mode. Huh. And I could solve eveything with mouse ...

So here are the links (main page, and PRODUCTS, where you can get it):
    http://www.bitsum.com/
    http://www.bitsum.com/#PRODUCTS:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.