Problems with Privateinternetaccess VPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Jarmo P, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

First I post this without knowing if I am in danger of my security in doing so. To gather possibly some knowledge from existing users. Normally I would not post here of what VPN program I am currently using.

This is strange program because it does not put any starting icon on the desktop or anywhere I can see. I finally figured out it is pia_manager.exe that needs to be made a shortcut.

Another difficulty is with security software because rubyw.exe needs to start from AppData/Local/Temp/"somerandomfolder" folder. In AppGuard I had to make pia_manager.exe a power application, damn it. Also before starting PIA VPN, I have to put AG in Medium mode and allow user space launches guarded. After connecting to a VPN server I will then have to remember change AG to Locked Down mode.

About servers, I don't see these countries: Russia, Turkey, Singapore, Japan, Mexico, Brazil. Not such a biggie for me but I'm wondering.

I could not connect to a French server.
    If I disconnect from a VPN server, the VPN Killswitch enabled, I can still use internet. So that also does not seem to work

Originally I installed this on my standard user account. At some point the program stopped connecting to servers, the openvpn.exe would not start. Uninstalled it according to instructions in the page: https://support.privateinternetaccess.com/Knowledgebase/PopularArticles
    The program has no uninstall option!

Installed to my admin account. Worked there as tested. I then used it on my standard user account and it worked also there. Until it stopped at some point working again. Same as above. Computer reboots did not help.

I went to admin account and it worked there, logged out and back to standard user, and it works again.

I guess this is a cheap VPN because of all these problems and inconviniences.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.