Problems with 2.06 - App filtering & fwapi errors

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Defenestration, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I never had any problems with LnS 2.05, but with 2.06 I've had a few.

1) I sometimes get a LnS authorization dialog when browsing the web, informing me that an application is starting another app which connects to the Internet - However, both apps are listed as "?". If I block the connection, sometimes a page will not load in the browser, but other times it does load.

2) I've also had a few errors where a small dialog is displayed with "fwapi" as the title, and a number 20306. I've also had this same dialog with the number 19529.

Now, it's possible there is something else on my system conflicting with LnS, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had had similar problems ?

I will go back to the last version of 2.05 to see if that helps.

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Defenestration,

For the 1), I think some users reported this kind of case before.
    But unfortunately I've no idea where it comes from so far.
    Did you enable the ActivatedSoon flag in the registry, this may help to detect properly some parent applications that are started before Look 'n' Stop start.
    Just after you encounter the issue, open the console windows and click on the "driver logs" button. Maybe there will be something interesting there, since the log contains both paths also.

For the 2), never experienced and heard about that before o_O
    Does this happen under specific circumstances ? What happens just after: you just press OK and everything is all right ?

Thanks,

Frederic

3. Defenestration

Thanks for getting responding so quickly.

1) I thought I did have the ActivatedSoon flag enabled, but I don't so will see if that helps. I will also check the logs next time it happens.

2) I'm usually just browsing the web at the time, although I usually have a lot of browser tabs open at the time, and often have a few pages loading at the same time. After clicking OK, LnS will sometimes crash (Visual Studio debugger asks if I want to debug it), but other times it will continue to work. I will try to gather more information for you.

Is there no where in the LnS code which will display this error then ?

4. Defenestration

It's just happened again. ActivatedSoon was enabled. I selected Block Once and looknstop.exe crashed. The last part of the driver log is below:

Code:
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET\MOZILLA_FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
    TPOVF1
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET\AD MUNCHER\ADMUNCH.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXEPC
    TPOVF2
    TPOVF1
    TPOVF3
    TPOVF2
    TPOVF1
    TPOVF2
    TPOVF1
    TPOVF3
    TPOVF2
    TPOVF1
    TPOVF2

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

It looks like you enabled the log attributes (! or !!) for allowed applications.
    The problem could be realated to a lot of log information to be sent from the driver to the application (TPOVFx are unusual errors).

Could you confirm you have some (or many) log attributes selected for applications ?
    If this is confirmed you should try to remove some of these attributes.

Thanks,

Frederic

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, I checked that, and it means the application received a bad information from the driver. I think it confirms the problem is related to some overload conditions that are not properly handled when there are too many alerts/logs to be reported.

Frederic

7. Defenestration

I do indeed have a few applications with !! log attributes (Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird and my file manager Directory Opus). As most (probably all, but I can't be sure) of the errors occurred when browsing with Firefox, then I would agree the overload condition looks a good candidate for investigation.

I'll switch off the log attributes and see if I still get any errors.

Thanks for looking into it!

8. Defenestration

Since switching off all !! log attributes for apps, I have not had any LnS errors, so I guess both errors are due to this driver overload caused by lots of messages/alerts.

9. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok, thanks for the update.

There is a bug anyway, and I will try to fix it.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.