Problems setting up Jetico V2

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by djg05, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I have "User Profile Hive Cleanup" tool for long time and still have the problem. I have installed it long before Jetico and PeeerGuardian2.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Well this is where the problem is, there is a delay before the handles are closed. This is a bug/conflict with Jetico2<->PeerGuardian.

You should report the problem to Jetico support.

Attached Files:

• hive.jpg
      hive.jpg
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
  3. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

Are you sure that there is a conflict between Jetico and PeerGuardian2. I went through some parts of Event Viewer and didn't noticed any connection between PG2 and Jetico events. Maybe you can explain your conclusion about conflict between Jetico and PG2.

Also I can reproduce same problem if I shutdown Jetico before PC shutdown, there is the same dealy without Jetico running. I suspect that problem is in PG2, not in Jetico. Maye there is a conflict with their drivers. Can you test PeerGuardian and try to reproduce the problem without Jetico installed?

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I tried:
    1/ Jetico (only) running.... no problem
    2/ PeerGuardian (only) running.... no problem
    3/ Peerguardian+Jetico...... slow shutdown
    4/PeerGuardian+Jetico=Allow all... slow shutdown

No problem in W2K

5. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

Did you mean running or installed? Because I have same probelm with PeerGuardian only running.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Just a right click (on Jetico tray icon) shutdown firewall,.. no problem/slowdown with windows shutdown.

7. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I did the same and I tried three shutdowns. Results are:
    one normal shutdown without slowdown
    two problemtaic/slow shutdowns

Sometimes shutdown is normal even with Jetico running, so it seems to me that problem is not in Jetico.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I was getting consistent shutdown problems with this combo. I will re-install XP and look again.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

@pcaca,

After a number of shutdowns, with only PeerGuardian installed (Jetico completely removed from system) I am now having the slow shutdown,.... So you are correct,.. the problem is with PeerGuardian. (but this is not consistent with all installs initially)

10. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

Thanks for your confirmation Stem. I will remove PeerGuardian untill problem is solved by PeerGuardian developers.

11. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Not sure what I am meant to see. The relevant part of the log is here

2006-09-21 17:22:10 Configuration updated

2006-09-21 17:22:46 accept exit network J:\Program Files\NetMeter\NetMeter.exe PID: 2028

2006-09-21 17:22:46 accept exit network G:\Program Files\Robomagic\SocketWatch\swatch.exe PID: 2076

2006-09-21 17:23:50 reject Block All not Processed Protocol Packets 17 IPX 802.3 LLC outgoing packet 00:40:95:30:71:1F FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF frame: 803.2 LLC

2006-09-21 17:23:50 accept exit network J:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe PID: 980

2006-09-21 17:23:50 accept exit network

E:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe PID: 796
    2006-09-21 17:26:27 Configuration updated

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

@djg05,
    As mentioned in my last post to you,.. I think your problem could be related to the fact you are running Jetico2 + ProcessGuard, please, re-read my post

____
    Stem

13. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I tried that and Opera then works fine, but on the downside it takes even longer to shut down. I left it for 5 minutes then had to force it with the power switch.

I am also having problems with Pocomail. It is fine for a while but then blocks it without rhyme or reason. Same with Mozilla. I just stops the connection.

Perhaps it is just too early in the beta to expect anything better for now.

14. charincol

charincol Registered Member

The PeerGuardian2 issue is not a conflict between itself and Jetico, it is a problem with how PeerGuardian2 handles the icon in the system tray. Or at least that's the closest explanation found in this 16 page thread http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/t10035-computer-takes-ages-to-shutdown-with-pg2.html on Phoenix Labs Forums. Apparently, it is a problem that has showed up enough for it to get attention, but not enough that the developers have ever been able to reproduce the issue and therefore can't find out what is going on. The best workaround is using this guide http://wiki.phoenixlabs.org/wiki/Running_PeerGuardian_2_as_a_system_service#The_easy_road: to turn PeerGuardian into a service. I have used it and the issue stopped for me. PeerGuardian can be made to update just fine and run with or without the system tray icon. The added process from the service wrapper "srvany" uses about 500k in ram and no CPU cyces.

I have some files that include everything to automatically install it as a service (batch files and a registry file) and allows you to start, stop, and test if it is working. I will upload them here and you can use them if you want. Just delete the ".txt" at the end to get the zip file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

On your next testing of Jetico2, try using SSM instead of PG,... I am finding the combination of JPF2+SSM to be running very smooth. (just a suggestion)

16. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Stem

I did try installing SSM as well and expected a big fight but they all seemed live happily together. I did find that when any alert came up that PG (full) was first to the party and SSM did not come up until PG had been answered. It is not a practical to have both but was done out of interest.

I am very inclined to keep PG at the expense of Jetico. I have given it a fair run but it really is a most frustrating program to use. Ok if you really understand it. I was hoping that the developer was going to make it more user friendly but it seems just as complex as V1.

I think I must spend some time configuring Kerio 2.1.5 which I stand a much better chance of mastering. I have set PG to protect it and using APT none of the kill methods can remove it, so now I need to tighten up the rules to see it I can proof it against the various leaktests. Not using IE removes a whole lot of vulnerabilities.

Thanks for all you help it is much appreciated and am sure I will be knocking on your door again for more inspiration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.