Problems burning DVD+RW in XP SP3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've got some Verbatim DVD+RWs that work perfectly in Vista but not in XP. I can view files or folders that are already on a disc, but even if it's not full, Properties shows it all blue as if it's full and I can't write anything to them. I get this error message, "Windows does not support this CD-RW format. To use this disc, choose 'Erase this CD-RW' which will format the disc so that Windows can use it." When I try erasing it, the wizard says it encountered a problem and couldn't finish. I seem to recall reading something about XP having this problem and there was a patch for it, but when I went to download it I kept running into problems. Either it was no longer available or the download site was a bogus ad trap, etc. So does anyone know if this is a known issue with XP or if there really is a patch for it?

The guy I bought the drive from said it supports DVD writing. There's nothing on the drive itself, but in the Device Manager it's called "TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S222A." He said the "W" means it supports writing. He also said a DVD burning program like Nero would probably work. I could try some programs (which may or may not work) but I was hoping first to hear from someone who's had the same kind of issues with XP and actually found a solution. Thanks a lot. :)

2. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Well, I messed around and figured out I can use two programs I already have, Sonic RecordNow for XP and Toshiba Disc Creator on Vista. Doing it this way, each computer can read and write discs burned on either computer. All I can say is thank goodness for USB flash drives. :D

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I've had good experiences using CDBurnerXP on both XP and 7. Perhaps it will burn your DVDs in a way that both of your systems will recognize them. It's free, so it can't hurt to try. I would advise clicking "More download options" and select the installers without OpenCandy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.