Problems after installing Spyware Blaster

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Jenleib, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenleib

Jenleib Registered Member

I got a trojan a few days ago, and installed Spyware Blaster. It is always running.

But since then, I get "the page cannot be displayed" in parts of some sites (like yahoo, at the top or the right side).did I do something wrong in the settings?

Thanks

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Jenleib, and welcome to the forum.

You've mentioned you had a trojan a 'few days ago'. I am afraid you'll have to give us more information than this before we can help you.

1. What program alerted you that you had a trojan.
    2. What name was given to the trojan.
    3. What file was identified as a trojan.
    4. What steps have you taken and programs used to clean the trojan.
    5. Other information would be helpful too, like what is your operating system, the browser you are using; other security programs you have installed - firewall, anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti-popup blockers, etc.

If you could also give the link to the yahoo page that is giving you this "page cannot be displayed" message, that would be helpful so we could also check it.

You can find out if it is SpywareBlaster interferring with the webpage, though it shouldn't be. But first disable SpywareBlaster's protection and try the yahoo page again. If you still get the 'page cannot be displayed' even after SpywareBlaster's protection is disabled, then we know it isn't SpywareBlaster but might be your browser's settings, or another program interferring.

Regards,

snap

3. Jenleib

Ok, first thanks. Now I am going to try to answer....

I have NAV and AVG antivirus and both didn't find any virus. I have Spybot too. I work with Win XP Sp2. I have the Yahoo popup blocker (which works or not) and the anti spy in the yahoo bar too.

I started having the thousands of lines of code instead of the normal sites in IE6. I never use Netscape but one night I used it and every site opened normally. But I had to turn the computer off that night.... and the following morning, even Netscape didn't work. So obviously it had been infected!

My computer guy told me I must have a trojan, and advised me to install Spywre Blaster and Spy Weeper. After running them the previous problem disappeared. I got my sites back to normal, except those pages that cannot be displayed.

About your questions 3 and 4, I am not sure. Where can I find that info? In Spy Sweeper, I deleted Backdoor.ukcash.

The page that gives me this error is http://us.f310.mail.yahoo.com/ym/..... I hope that can help you. Thanks a lot

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  4. Jenleib

I would like to know why I didn't get any answer... Or don't I know how to find it, since it is my first time.... o_O

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

You're in the right place. Just give it a little time Jenlieb.

snowbound

6. Jenleib

Ok, then, I will wait, no problem.

7. snapdragin

Hi Jenleib,

I am not sure what to tell you since there could be a number of reasons this sort of thing happens with the error message "this page cannot be displayed" from an ISP connection, a security application's setting blocking parts of the site, spyware related, to the site in question actually having difficulties at the time you're trying to connect to it.

It is really a process of elimination to narrow down the possible problem area, like going through your IE's settings, firewall settings, and various other programs to check their settings.

I did get a chance to try the site you had linked to the other night (the yahoo login page) with Opera, JavaScript disabled and the page loaded fine. I also tried it in IE6 which I have everything disabled, meaning javascript, java, activeX etc., all set to disabled, and the page loaded again with no problem using that browser. I also have all SpywareBlaster's protection enabled along with using IE-Spyad, and everything on the page that should load, did for me, so I'm thinking it must be either a browser setting that is interferring with your being unable to load the Yahoo page, or the site may have been unavailable at the times you accessed it.

I've noticed you've since edited your post #3 and the url for the yahoo mail is no longer lickable, so I cannot re-test the link.

Have you tried yet disabling SpywareBlaster and retrying the link? You could also try the same thing with your other programs, for example, if you have Spybot Search & Destroy's Tea Timer enabled, then you can try disabling the Tea Timer and see if the pages load correctly. Try also setting your IE's settings back to default and also check that NAV's popup blocker is disabled (if you use that). Once you've gone through the various settings and the page still doesn't load correctly, then you might want to try scanning again with your security programs while in Safe Mode.

Once in safe mode, clean out the files in your temp folders - go to Start -> Run, and type in cleanmgr, click 'OK' and it will scan your C: drive. Then make sure the boxes beside Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Temp Files are checked. Click 'OK' and let it clean them. Empty your Recycle Bin.

Then do a full scan with your anti-spyware, and anti-virus programs.

Reboot back into normal mode, and scan again.

If you are still having problems, then you can try running through the various cleaning steps in General Cleaning Instructions and see if anything is detected.

Please let us know if any of the steps above help.

Regards,

snap

PS. Of course once you've tested all the settings on your security apps, do re-enable their protection. Do not disable your firewall.

8. Jenleib

Thanks Snap,

Once again, a lot of work to do. But there is worse: my history doesn't appear, nor the address line (I mean both are empty). Since I had to reboot my computer, I had completely lost your site! Fortunately I retrieved it from the email you sent to me.

Yes, I edited and cut the address, because it is a public forum and I realized that everyone could read all my emails. I have the same error with the weather channel, but there is no address I can give you. Here is the message

Action canceled
    Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you have visited this page previously and you want to view what has been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work Offline.

For information about offline browsing with Internet Explorer, click the Help menu, and then click Contents and Index.

Internet Explorer

But now I installed Mozilla Firefox, and everything works fine. So it seems to be a IE problem. I will check everything and will come back to you.

Regards

9. snapdragin

Hi Jenleib,

Just so you don't worry needlessly, the link only took me to the Yahoo Login Page where it requires a Yahoo ID and password to be entered, which of course only you would know and no one else.

After you've gone through the suggestions in my above post, if you find you are still having problems then it might be a good idea to go to one of the forums that do HijackThis log review and post a log for a deeper analysis. It may come down to having to do a repair of IE, but before doing anything like that it would be best to make sure your system is clean of any malware first.

Please do let us know how you make out as it could help someone else that may have a similar problem.

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.