Problem with True Image Enterprise and SBS 2003

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by djtrick9, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djtrick9

djtrick9 Registered Member

SBS 2003 Server
    RAID 5 SATA array
    C: drive has all exchange info on it
    D: is for extra storage like user profiles etc.

I have true image enterprise server 9 running on my Small Business Server 2003. I try running a scheduled backup and whenever I do, it crashes my the server. the entire thing just shuts off. Event viewer only logs an unexpected shutdown. I have enable VSS service

I can run a backup for just the D Drive. but whenever i try to make a full image, the server just shuts down.

Does anyone have an idea on what i could look for.?

for now i have had to use Windows backup to backup my exchange data and shareppoint files. then I run Veritas Backup exec. However Backup exec doesn't do a true image. If my system crashes i woould still have to reinstall SBS 2003 and then restore data.

when i originally setup the server a couple years ago i tried using an IOMEGA REV drive and their software is also supposed to do an image backup. It caused the same problems.

I have not tried to do a BASE image using the restore CD yet. i will tyr that this weekend so I at least have a base system to restore. but i really want to be able to use Acronis for daily imaging/backup

Thanks for any help

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello djtrick9,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify, at what point of the process does the shutdown occur? Please also describe how is the backup task set (i.e., what to back up, where to save archive to, backup process settings, etc.)

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. djtrick9

The backup crashes randomyly thorughout the backup procedure. ti appears to be a problem when VSS is enabled. Even when I do a backup on just the secodnary drive in the system (non-OS drive) the system just crashes and turns off. have been unable to tell if it is a BSOD or not. The orgirinal task was set to backup C: and D: to a USB drive (U:) all standard settings, 11:45 PM weekdays.

There is nothing unusual about my settings. I have currently disabled all Acronis backup tasks, since I have not had time to troubleshoot this issue.

4. Acronis Support

Hello djtrick9,

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to update all installed components, as they need to be the same build in order to interact properly.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file. The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please collect Windows crash dump the following way:
    - Right click on "My Computer", choose "Properties" and go to the "Advanced" tab;
    - Click "Settings" in the "Startup and Recovery" box;
    - Choose "Small memory dump" in "Write debugging information";
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons;
    - Reproduce the system crash;
    The small dump file will be created in the directory chosen in the "Small dump directory" box.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. djtrick9

I did the steps above and instlled the latest drivers. now I have a new problem. The system no longer shuts down because now it won't do a backup at all. The problem is now on the Second 2003 server as well. I get the error

E000700021: Cannot Acces drive
    Cannot create the image of the logical drive C: because it is currently in use by running applications or the logical drive contains bad sector.

this all happened after I upgraded the True image enterprise drivers

originally my problem was with my sbs 2003 server shutting down during acronis backup. my other server 2003 was running fine with acronis before. but I thought "what the hell" let's go ahead and make sure i have the newest drivers. now i get the above error on both servers.

my drives are fine. they had no errors before hand

what is the solution?

6. Acronis Support

Hello djtrick9,

In that case, please just collect and send Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.