Problem with dual-profile updating 3.0.650?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by hillrb, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hillrb

hillrb Registered Member

*edit* This was not just with 3.0.650, but also with at least the previous release.

I seem to be having a problem on my pc's with dual-profile signature updates. I've created 2 profiles. The default one retrieves updates from my local update server. The second one retrieves updates from Eset's update servers. I configure these profiles for my end user pc's using the Remote Administrator Console.

Let me first state that I know for certain that I am using the correct username and password when I configure the configuration. Please do not doubt that. I have tried at least 20 times now copying and pasting, as well as typing manually the username and password assigned to me. I use one Configuration for the whole company at present.

My client pc's successfully obtain updates from my local update server. However, when I take a laptop and put it on a foreign network with internet access, the update fails when I launch it manually (meaning that I open the application and manually tell it to perform an update). However, if I shutdown the server and perform the same update on my desktop pc, it successfully checks for an update using Eset's servers. Both the laptop and my desktop have the same exact configuration from the Remote Administrator Console, but the Laptop fails to update when using Eset's servers.

In my analysis, there seems to be a problem with either the transmission of the config file to the client or the way that the client interprets the config. I can *usually* run a configuration task (with the same exact config file) on the client that is not working and it will correct itself.

Let me throw another wrench into that mix. Not only does this happen to the secondary update profile, but sometimes to the primary update profile using my local server (which is not using any user or passwords). Again, if I run a configuration task again (with the same config file) the client will usually resume updates with my local server.

Would someone enlighten me as to why this update information is sometimes interpretted incorrectly on the client side please? Seems like something should be built into the Client software that does a checksum on the config file to make sure that it's the same one the server means to transmit.

Kind Regards,
    Brett

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A secondary profile is used by update tasks, not by the updater itself. You'll need to run an update task from within Scheduler to test if it works as you want.

3. hillrb

hillrb Registered Member

That can't be right. Why, if I shutdown my local server, does my workstation update fine through the update function then? The default update profile is to connect to my local server. The secondary profile goes directly to Eset's servers. But I can take another pc whose config "should" be the same and it won't update and gives the "Error connecting to update..yada yada" error.

4. hillrb

hillrb Registered Member

Ahh nevermind. I see that my profile was set to my Internet profile. You should make the software so that it has the option of fallback to the secondary update profile so as to not confuse (because both profiles exist in the configuration page in the client).

Thanks!
    Brett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.