problem with diskeeper help urgently please!!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

diskeeper just imformed me that windows to set to run chdisk at next reboot so it cant analy a volume or defragment a volume tills its done. this is eiether due to a user asking windows to do that or the system has a problem with a volume so it wants to check. I havent told it to do it so does windows think theres a problem with my volume?

and once thats done should my pc boot up fine?

im kinda worried

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If I understand right - you cannot complete defragmentation because you have set Windows to do a checkdisk operation (which requires reboot for system disk, btw) - or part of the defragmentation process entails checkdisk procedure and you are not sure about it.
    Correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Anyhow, checkdisk is not a bad thing - like going to a doctor. You do not necessarily get something terminal. Checking the disk once in a while is not a bad thing and it sometimes requires reboot. Nothing special.
    If you do fear some loss of data (I don't know what you did before this message showed up), back your data to cd or dvd before proceeding.
    Mrk

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

before the message i was just using the pc. so i guess windows decided just to do checkdisk at next reboot.

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Windows does not do that by itself. So you probably have a scheduled task. Are you aware of anything like that? Did you have some install, some blue screen of death, did you click any options in menus etc? Things don't happen on their own accord.
    Mrk

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I dont remmeber clicking any menus. Is There somewhere that tells me so i can stop it?

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    If the check is already scheduled, there is a registry key in runonce. But I do not suggest you play with it. Just back your data, if you feel you must and reboot. During the bootup, the system will check the disk. It will take about 30-40 minutes. Don't worry. You can skip it during first 10 seconds of the check, so be attentive after the bootup.
    Mrk

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i just dont know if to worry or not.

i have backed it all up to my usb hard drive.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the thing is i have run chdisk before. but i got worried this time because i didnt tihink i told it to.

9. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You probably have, by not noticing.
    BTW, some tweaking, optimizing, maintenance software can schedule these thnigs for you. I would not worry. Things are backed up, you are familiar with the procedure. Just do it. Have fun and luck.
    Mrk

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it done a three stage process instead of the six stage one. it then fixed a problem with fonts then booted back up so successful yay!

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You did mess with something ... But nice. Now, I'd suggest you do a system restore checkpoint. Complete your defrags, then run another check, but this time make sure you schedule it.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.