Problem with Comodo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jaydub, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

I've just starting having issues with Comodo after over a year of trouble free use.

After a while (> 20 entries) in the application monitor, it won't accept any more automatic entries and I get a blank line at the bottom of the application monitor table.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it hasn't made any real difference.

Looking at the registry soon after reinstall, there appear to be some 'pre-existing' app entries and the first one starts at 20. I'm not sure whether these appear at installation or whether this is coincidence or not. These 'pre-existing' entries cannot be deleted from the registry either and they feature applications that are on the PC.

I'm totally flummoxed.

Any ideas anybody?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  2. poirot

poirot Registered Member

your problem looks strikingly similar to mine which was discussed here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179627

you can find a possible solution-if its the same problem-here (you need to register to see pics):

http://forums.comodo.com/help/strange_allow_all_rule_after_bsod_in_applications-t10447.0.html

If you have already reinstalled and problems persist you need a REAL registry cleaning of ALL Comodo items everywhere to come out
    of it, sometimes not an easy task. If you can use a new Image of your disk that would be better.

ps-did you remove in Security>Advanced>Miscellaneous the 'Protect Registry etc.' thing before trying to delete in regedit?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  3. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

Just returned to Windows Firewall whilst I try and sort this out.

I've uninstalled Comodo and there's still 10 entries in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal Firewall\AppCtrl\Apps that can't be deleted.

I'm fairly certain that the blank entry problem occurs when it tries to write the 21st application rule (....\apps\20) which clashes with one of the undeletable entries.

I've unticked the protect registry entry option so it's not that.

I can't delete these entries in Regedit and don't know where to go here except reinstall an old backup image.

4. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Did you read the Comodo thread jaydub?
    They sorted out the undeletable entries problem by modifying permissions in regedit. Just give permission to ALL or to your account and see if they become dleletable thereafter.
    In that thread its depicted how a user came out of it ...but if you go back to a previous image i guess its even better and what i did as well.

5. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

The problem appears that each of the application rule entries has a subkey 0 which I am unable to access.

I get an error message "Cannot open 0: error while opening key"

I'm struggling to identify the owner for these registry keys.

6. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

Though my problem isn't the same, I want to share this with you.
    I just uninstalled the latest version of CFP and then found, in my Security CEnter on XP Pro, that it had installed Comodo AV. And there is no obvious way to remove it.
    I've posted this in Comodo's forum.
    Thought you might like to know that there's more than one problem in CFP.
    Good luck.
    Doc

7. yeow

yeow Registered Member

If you haven't reinstalled your backup image yet, try with another registry tool instead of Regedit.

For me, Regedit couldn't delete a particular leftover Comodo entry too. But RegSeeker worked for me, and after that no more problems when Comodo was re-installed (which I did in Safe Mode).

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Doc.

You would have to rebuild your repository folder:

- stop Windows Management Instrumentation service
    - delete "Repository" folder in Windows\system32\wbem (or rename it to something with "old")
    - restart WMI service, that will recreate repository folder
    - reboot.

That should solve the issue.

Repository folder is a kind of database which contains info about installed security software. It could get corrupted, Comodo's case is well known. Restarting WMI service rebuilds the correct database.

Sorry, no intention to hijack this thread.

Cheers.

9. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Far from hijacking you did a favour to many i guess.
    I didnt know this and took duly note.Thanks.

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

You're welcome poirot. That worked for me when I tried CFP 2.3, some months ago.

But my previous post is not really an answer to OP's question, so that's why I appologized...

Cheers.

11. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

Forgiven from this end as well.

I've resolved my issue with a system restore from two weeks ago. Decided it was easier than messing about with backups.

I can now delete all comodo app entries in the registry.

To be fair to Comodo, this occurred at about the same time as i started using RegSeeker as my registry cleaner. I've now kicked RegSeeker into touch and am just relying on CCleaner for the time being.

Thanks everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.