Problem viewing pdf docs on the web

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dundertaker, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi;

I am having problems with viewing pdf files while connected to the internet.
    Everytime I click a pdf file for viewing in a web browser my pc turns sluggish and the mouse printer jumps freezes and does not move normal. This goes for like eternity until I have to restart my pc.

Can someone help me on this?

I am well protected and clean using Avira Premium 2009, OA Free, Malwarebytes and SASpy with HitmanPro as on-demand. I am using Google Chrome/Firefox as web browser and Adobe Reader 9.

I have PDF Creator to print pdf files and Adobe Reader 9 as default viewer.

Please help me.

Thanks you.

Dundertaker:cool:

2. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders Security Forums Dundertaker.....

I have been experiencing strange behaviors with .pdf files while connected to the Internet also.
    Basically the same symptoms as yours except I never had to reboot.
    Another symptom is after I close the .pdf document in the Browser and continue on browsing, when I close the Browser both Adobe 8 and Microsoft Windows
    popup an message informing me that one or more .pdf documents are still open in the Browser and if I close the Browser I will loose all information.
    Then Microsoft Windows will ask if I want to send this information to Microsoft. This does not happen every time, but often.

I do not know the origin of this behavior yet, and as far as I know, my System is clean.

HKEY1952

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

There is just a CHANCE this may be helpful:

I use the Adobe Acrobat Reader version 8.X.
    I have removed the startup entries using Hijackthis version 1.99.
    Javascript disabled, all Acrobat Reader ActiveX's removed (I use IE 7).
    The Acrobat Reader is blocked by the firewall.

It never causes any problems. Of course, I use version 8, you have version 9.

Perhaps your problems are caused by a conflict between your applications ?

4. HKEY1952

hmmmm.....I will have to try that Fly, I will Post the results back here when I do.
    Even if that does not resolve the issue, this tightens the security around Adobe.

The only reason I have this intrusive, Internet connection happy Adobe Reader 8 installed on my System is because I need to read PDF Documents.
    I have been looking at Fox-it Reader, but I am undecided at this point in time. When I do find an replacement PDF Reader.....Adobe is gone.

HKEY1952

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Dundertaker, I use Adobe Reader 8, but to eliminate a problem with your browser, go to the Reader's Edit > Preferences > Internet and deselect the Display PDF in browser box. Try a PDF link again. If it works, there is no problem with the Reader, but if it doesn't, then re-install Adobe Reader.

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I use Foxit by default with no problems. However, I did run into a problem once viewing a pdf file on a public computer. For the life of me, I couldn't get it to open. I then remembered box.net and their flash paper. I simply uploaded the pdf to my free box.net account and within seconds it was ready and available to read with their native flash paper application. That's not a long-term solution obviously, but in a pinch when pdf viewing is acting up, it works great.

7. HKEY1952

JRViejo,

Disabling Adobe Reader from displaying in the Browser appears to have resolved the issue.
    Good job.....should anything negative arise from the change I will Post it here.

HKEY1952

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

HKEY1952, glad to hear that the tweak took care of the problem. :thumb:

Now, if we can have Dundertaker try it and report back, it would be a home run! :)

JR

9. HKEY1952

JRViejo,

Yeah, its working.....I just worked the living daylights out of it on several Web Sites and its perfect! :thumb:

I find it odd that an lot of New Members create an account here, ask an question, and then they are never heard from again.....hmmmm

HKEY1952

10. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Personally, I believe opening a PDF inside of a browser has to be a much riskier approach than only in the reader itself. I stopped the practice quite a while back.

Second, I don't use Adobe's Reader as my reader any longer. Beyond the security issues, it's growing bloat is nearly unbelieveable. I use the free PDF XChange Viewer. I like it better than FoxIt for several reasons, including it's ability to allow me to type on PDFs. http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer/

11. Dundertaker

Hi:D ;

Sorry for the late reply. I had mounting problems with TrueCrypt. Yes it did solved the problem (disabling). The tweak did it also for me!

Also, I am now trying FoxIt Reader and having no problems at the moment. Opens faster than the previous Reader. I think it's much smoother than Adobe Reader and much smaller in size. Has other capabilties as well.

But I'm still trying it out. We'll see.

Thanks for the reply and tips fellas! :D

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Dundertaker, thanks for letting us know that the Adobe Reader tweak worked.

Yes, there are many good PDF readers out there. Beside Adobe Reader, I also use Sumatra PDF Portable and it works well.

JR

13. Dundertaker

Hi JRViejo/all;

Yah, thanks again for the workaround. Maybe you can also share with me an alternative to PDF Creator..(well perhaps via a PM if it's okay..) I am planning to try alternatives from what I use. I already uinstalled Adobe Reader 8/Pro ver6 but Foxit Reader is only a reader and needs something like PDF Creator.

Anyway thanks all for the inputs!:D

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Dundertaker, no need to hide my suggestion via PM because others might benefit from the discourse.

I'm using an old Free version of PrimoPDF and it works so well, that I haven't had the need to upgrade. Here's more info via their PrimoPDF support manual.

The one caveat: PrimoPDF requires Microsoft's .NET 2.0 Framework to function. Perhaps other Wilders members will post their suggestions soon.

15. Dundertaker

Hi JRViejo;

Thanks dude!

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I have also deselected the above mentioned feature, along with two other 'features'. Just FYI.

17. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Primo is ok. Simple installation (which is nice!) I did a brief, subjective comparison against a couple others and I thought the graphics conversion was a teeny bit courser for Primo. But the differences were minor.

The two converters I was happiest with were
    http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp
    http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
    Both need an additional download and installation of Ghostscript (listed at the websites.)

Bullzip is more full featured (even offers document encryption/protection settings.) CutePDF is barebones.

18. Dundertaker

Hi;

Same here. I am now trying out Primo and is good. CutePDF is as mentioned barebone. Don't know about Bullzip though..in the meantime the tweak worked out fine and I'll be using it with the trials.

Regards,

Dundertaker

19. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I use the firefox addon "PDFdownload" and it works great. I set it so that it asks me each time whether to open the pdf, download it, etc. I never open it in the browser. No sluggishness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.