Problem Restoring from Backup DVDs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Crichton, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crichton

Crichton Registered Member

I have the latest version of TrueImage installed (889). I am able to create a bootable rescue cd with no problems. I have followed the forums suggestions and created 1492mb .tib files and burned them to 5 different dvds. When I go to restore from them, I am asked over and over again to put in the different volumes. I have changed out the media at least 30 times and it still hasn't begun the restore process. All it does is sit at analyzing drive c: and prompting me over and over again to put in the different volumes.

Is this the way it is or am I doing something wrong?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Crichton,

If not already done then you need to insert the last DVD volume first and follow TI prompts for subsequent disks. Don't close the DVD recorder's drawer manually. Instead insert the DVD and then click "Proceed" or "OK" to allow TI to close the drawer automatically.

Regards

3. Crichton

If I do that, the drawer does not close automatically. It just sits there asking for the volume.

I forgot to mention that the drive is an external usb DVD writer. Will that matter in the process even though it does see the last disc in the set as being ok and the image has been verified across the discs?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Crichton ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know what message you get? Also please verify the image on DVDs and try to start restoration when you boot from bootable CD.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. Crichton

Yes, I have been trying to restore from the bootable cd.

The messages that I get are as follows:

When I close the drawer manually,

Please insert the media marked Volume * (varies because it asks multiple times)
    Press retry when ready or press Cancel to cancel the operation and stop.

After I insert the Volume, it briefly brings up Analyzing Partition C:, then the above message comes back.

If I leave the drawer open (it does not close automatically)

Error

File not found
    A possible reason may be poor media quality or Volume * located on another CD or DVD disc.

Please press retry to continue with Volume * or press Cancel to cancel the operation and stop.

6. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

Crichton

Part of the problem may be the size of the TIB files. I just completed a test where I backed up my 80gb harddrive to 11 2240mb tib files on another harddisk. I then burned the 11 files onto 6 DVD's. This meant the TIB files are arrange as 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11.

I then performed a complete restore. As I was booting from the recovery CD, I mounted volume 11 in the DVD R/W. When TI came up and I selected to restore, it indicated what was on the 11 volumes. After following the wizard through the last frame, I said proceed. TI then asked for VOL 1.

The restoration process than began. The sequence of the restore was as follows: ie: I had to swap volumes: 1, 6, 2, 3, 5, 7 ,9, 1. Now between each request, I mounted the correct disc and waited before I responded to the RETRY message until the drive had settled (ie: was ready). Between the 9, 1 mount request, I recieved a error couldn't find volume 10. I responded RETRY and the restoration continued until a successful restore.

I proceeded to boot the restored disk with no problems.

I have 3 logical partitions on the disk that was backed up of which around a total of 28gb is active of the 80gb available. I always use HIGH compression when creating the TIB files.

My suggestion two things 1) use a larger fixed size. 2) when responding to a mount request, let the drive become ready before replying to the mount message.

Storage_man

PS: I also recieved the corrupted image error message after I mounted the first volume. A reply to RETRY got around it.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Crichton,

When you set up the restore process do you choose to resize partition? Does the progress bar in the "Analyzing partition C" message come to the end or not? Could you please try to copy all the parts of the image to a single folder on a hard drive and try to restore it from there? Also please boot with Acronis Bootable CD and verify the image on DVDs after that. Do you get the same problem?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Crichton

To Storage_man:

The reason I went with 1492 file size is because of these two forum posts:
    1492 DVD Size

As far as waiting for the drive light to settle, I have been doing that. If I don't, I get the second error message that I posted.

To Ilya:

I have tried both choices as far as resizing the partition (do or don't resize) witht the same results asking for the different volumes. The progress bar on Analyzing Partition C: keeps coming back after it checks the volume.

The images were originally on an external hard drive, so I will try to restore from there and see what happens. If that works then I will verify the DVD's and post back.

All this is being done with the Arconis Bootable CD.

9. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

Crichton

Yes the 1492mb file size gives you the maximum that u can burn to a 4.7gb DVD disc. But the number of switches could be effected by the size of the TIB files. Also have u been able to CHECK the IMAGES both on the Harddisk and on the DVD's with successful Completion ?

You haven't yet described your systems configuration. Is your DVD drive internal or external ? Is the drive that you burned your DVD's from External or Internal ? What Kind of DVD's are you burning the TIB file too ? Have you been able to burn DVD's before to these disc's with no problems ?

Give us a complete list of your hardware/software configuration.

Anything you can give us should help

Storage_man

10. Crichton

Storage_man

I'm not really sure why it would make much difference the size of the tib files burned. Right now, for example, I have Vol 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14 each on separate discs which equals the 5 dvds. If I burned them as larger files, wouldn't it still come out the same way as Vol 1-3 down to Vol 1, 4-6 to Vol 2, etc and I would still be changing the discs? TI doesn't have a problem with the images that are on the same disc, it's when it asks for a volume on a different discs.

The DVD drive I'm using is an external USB drive and it has successfully burned many dvds. I have tried two different brands, Ridata & Fujifilm.

I have checked images on the DVD's and they were ok. I am checking the harddrive (External USB) that the DVD's were made from now.

The machine that was imaged was an AMD64-3200, 1 Gb PC3200, 150Gb SATA, Gigabyte MB and Gigabyte 6800GT.

I am trying to restore to another harddrive on a similar machine as a test when I ran into problems.

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Occasionally, CDs/DVDs filled to capacity with large data files (as opposed to music or video files) that have been created on one recorder are unreadable when played back on a different recorder/player. This can be due to a number of things (not in any particular order):

- Media incompatability
    - Different lazer alignment
    - Timing issues
    - Vibration
    - Difficulty accessing the outer (max capacity) tracks

Burning the DVDs at no more than 2 to 2.4 speed helps to overcome or mask some of these problems.

Regards

12. Crichton

Yes, the DVD's were burned at 2.4x and are being written/read on the same external USB DVD drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.