Problem launching main program in rescue disc TI 11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Simon_W, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_W

Simon_W Registered Member

Hi,

Just upgraded to True Image Home 11 and have a problem launching the main rescue disc program under Vista.

rescue disk True Image 10 > works under XP and Vista
    rescue disk True Image 11 > works under XP however NOT under Vista

2 questions:
    1) Can I restore a image file made with True Image 11 with the rescue disk of True image 10 ?
    2) Why is the main program of rescue disk TI 11 not launching under Vista ? I see the opening menu and as soon as I hit the main program to restore a backup nothing happens. Under XP the same rescue disk is working fine.

I upgraded to True Image 11 build 8041 which is probably the lastest version in my language (Dutch).

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

No, the file format has changed, and TI 10 will say a TI 11 .tib file is not an Acronis True Image backup.

Obviously, the Linux drivers on the TI 11 disk don't match your hardware as well as those on the TI 10 disk. There have been some other reports of this problem.

Since TI 10 works on both your systems, is there a reason why you upgraded to TI 11? If there isn't a new feature which you want, I'd just stay with TI 10 until a new build of TI 11 is released.

Check out the suggestions in the PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST sticky message at the top of this forum for things to try to get the Recovery CD working.

Alternatively you could create a VistaPE boot disk.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Simon_W,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The latest build of dutch version of Acronis True Image 11 Home is 8105. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you are not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stop scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5-10 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screen. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I have TI 11 and it works for me under Vista.

5. Simon_W

The latest version I found after registering was ....
    Last available update: build #8082, 2008-03-27

So I downloaded and installed it. No difference so I assume some Unix drivers are not compatible with my video driver or other hardware.
    Your instructions mentioned here are OK for now however when I have a disk failure I am not patient so I want a rescue disk that just works.

Then I decided to make a BartPE disk so I could boot in Windows. I found the BartPE plugin however no good instructions how to use the plugin in the BartPE setup (which is quite easy to provide by Acronis) and no explanation either what the 'safe media plugin' is. By using Google I was able to find instructions from someone who had used the BartPE plugin it. It is quite simple however some things you just have to know.

Anyway, end of the story: I have a working rescue disk based on BartPE that boots well and I assume when disaster strikes this will help me. In the past recovery from the Unix based rescue disks was quite slow because of the USB2.0 standard that is not well supported by the standard rescue disk so I hope this works better as well under BartPE.

Instructions using Acronis BartPE plugin I found by using Google:

Recently I needed to restore a backup made with Acronis True Image, however when I booted using the True Image recovery CD it didn’t work.

After a bit of research it turns out that Acronis uses Linux for their recovery CD and sometimes this has problems with the hardware. An alternative is to use a free tool to create a Windows based recovery CD that runs True Image. The software is called BartPE.

Download BartPE (PE Builder) and install it.

If you have Acronis True Image 10 then you already have the BartPE plugin. If you have Acronis True Image 11 then I believe you have to register your copy and log into the Acronis site for the free download.

For True Image 10, go to C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome and rename the BartPE folder to “AcronisTrueImage”.

Copy the AcronisTrueImage folder to the “plugin” folder inside the BartPE installation folder. In my case that meant copying it to C:\pebuilder3110a\plugin

Run PE Builder from the Start menu.

Select the location where your Windows installation files are

Click on “Plugins” and make sure that Acronis True Image is enabled (should be by default).

Choose desired media output.

Click on “Build”.

This will either generate an ISO file for burning to a CD or burn the CD for you (depending on the options you choose).

Next, boot your PC with the BartPE CD inserted. Once you have gone through the network options, Acronis True Image can be found on the Go menu at:

Go -> System -> Storage -> Acronis True Image

6. Simon_W

Well the reason was I hope there is more compatability in new versions with new hardware and maybe other improvements I don't know about.I just upgrade because backups are essential to me and I don't have the time or urge to have a look at the history of bugs/improvements that are made in each new release.

Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.