Problem controlling behaviour of rundll32.exe

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by mumdigau, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mumdigau

mumdigau Registered Member

Hello,

I tried to follow the recommandation of other threads here and changed the last action of rundll32.exe under Security to 'Permit Once'. I then tested the changed behaviour, and started a Control Panel applet (Software). As exspected a popup window came up, I allowed execution, but the applet didn't show up. Under Alerts I can see an entry with allowance of rundll32.exe's execution. So this is OK again. But the applet still doesn't open. When I now hit the Start button, the Windows GUI completely freezes, the Security window is all blank, and there is no other way then to power off the PC and restart. Do I miss anything here?

I'm running PG 3.150 under Windows XP Pro SP2 with all actual hotfixes applied.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

mumdigau

2. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi mumdigau.

Any news on this mate?

You could also try to re-install PG as one of the lists may have gotten corrupted somehow.

If you set rundll32.exe back to 'permit always' does everything work fine? If so,then you may not be able to have it as 'permit once',not everyone can,it depends on much your system uses it.

Keep us informed.

3. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i think there is probably a problem with the program that you are trying to run, not with PG 3.15..

you can test rundll32.exe and PG by going to start/control panel and then opening "internet options", from there.. that should generate a pg-rundll32.exe popup alert, asking if you want to allow rundll32.exe to run, if you have rundll32.exe set to "run once", in PG..

i am running PG 3.15 and have rundll32.exe set to "run once", in PG.. i don't have any problems with it..

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I use 3.15 and I have had to give rundll32.exe full priveledges. It has the MOST priveledges of all! It is allowed to install global hooks, install drivers and access physical memory. No other process is allowed that much. If I don't do this the computer won't function properly. (XP Pro). I usually have at least two instances of it running in task manager.

5. mumdigau

Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

I've found out that many people have problems with freezing of the Windows GUI after having installed MS Update 908531. MS published a fix/patch for that. This seems to help for my backup/test system (which is similar to my main system, but less programs installed here), but in the main system the problem is still there. I deinstalled the update. Now Automatic Update urges to install 908531 (and BTW 900725 and 921398 which probably have gone with the deinstallation, as well). I forced Automatic Update to ignore those updates. The problem is still there, but less frequent then before (more or less once a day). When I deinstall PG the problem is gone. So, I´m still looking for a final solution.

mumdigau

6. mumdigau

Hi to all,

I've not yet solved the problem completely. By accident I found out that there are some incompatibilities with Nero Burning ROM 7. I went back from 7.2.7.0 to 7.2.3.2b, then to 7.0.1.4. The GUI freezing problem persists. When going back to 6.6.1.4 the problem happens at least far, far less often.

Of course, this is not a general solution. I like this SW, but if I don't succeed to really solve this I will deinstall PG and look for alternatives. One candidate I've already in consideration: Neoava.

Best regards

mumdigau

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If you're going to look at alternatives then System Safety Monitor would likely be a better choice - the 2.2 beta allows you to include command-line arguments in rules, providing proper control over rundll32.exe and its ilk. It can also be run concurrently with Process Guard (disabling PG's Execution Protection may be a good idea if doing this to avoid multiple prompts for every new program).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.