Problem after XP SP3 Update

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by robakam, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robakam

robakam Registered Member

After updating my pc to XP SP3 my EST Smart Security has problems.
    I have no internet connection, I must first disable the firewall, and then renable it to get an internet connection.

Also if I try and update the virus signatures it fails unless I disable the firewall also.

I have gone back to SP2 and it is fine and when I reinstall SP3 I get the same error.

ESET.jpg

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hello and Welcome to Wilders!!

In my professional opinion, I would hold off on installed SP3 for awhile. There have been numerous reports of bugs throughout the system after installation.

If you are running just fine with SP2, I would stick with it for awhile longer until some kinks are ironed out.

If you insist on installing SP3, try doing a full uninstall of ESS and delete the program files folder for ESET, restart the system, and then try to do the install again.

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I got offered SP3 this AM on my gaming machine - decided that I'd wait a while... it's not going to harm my gaming any to wait... ;)

4. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

There are a number of problems with SP3, none of which have anything to do with ESS. Microsoft has pages of info and fixes for problems with SP3 and it is worthwhile reading them. I have installed SP3 after making some modifications to the registry as advised by Microsoft and I have not had any problems at all. ESS works fine. I have also used the same method to install it on two other PCs and in all cases there are no problems with either ESS or XP.

5. robakam

Thanks. I have no other problems with SP3 on any of the 15 or so machines I
    have installed on. Just the one with ESET.
    Can you possibly point me to the registry changes?

6. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

I had both Lost Internet connection and a "looping" boot to an Error page via a known issue with some AMD machines and other reasons. Here's what fixed it for me and you can evaluate - try as you wish:

Per MS tech Sppt: Start machine--Tap F8 to Safe Mode: Start:Run: Regedit (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm\Start::
    change the 'Start' value to 4 (mine was "1"), then reboot the system).

Dbl-clk Intelppm and/or Start folders in the chain if the right regedit pane is blank when they're hi-lighted and their contents will display.

XP Update Forum
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...d45-de9e-4fc5-9bc1-2d1d0de6daee&lang=en&cr=US

Free SP3 Phone Sppt til 4-14-09 (866) 234-6020
    Hope this helps-

7. robakam

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have that reg key as this was a pure AMD install, no image or OEM.

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Have you tried installing the latest device drivers for your network interface card, then resetting the network stack per the instructions in this Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

This is the Microsoft link that I followed:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

In particular, I installed and ran subinacl followed by reset.cmd

I ran the above before installing SP3. I did not disable ESS while installing the above or SP3. The above relate to permissions issues so I don't know if this will fix your problems or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.