Privoxy, Toggling TOR on/off

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by reparsed, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reparsed

reparsed Registered Member

I've been using Privoxy for some time and just started using TOR & SwitchProxy in Firefox. I'd like to be able to turn TOR on/off and leave Privoxy running.

Any Ideas?

2. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I don't see a way to quickly change forwarded ports in Privoxy. What I would do is to chain Proximitron >> Privoxy >> Tor. Proxomitron has the ability to switch proxies easily and can more than cover the ground Privoxy does in terms of filtering. Since you can use SwitchProxy (I can't with Firefox 1.5), you can use Proxomitron for non-Tor surfing and Privoxy with Tor.

3. reparsed

I set up Proxo and played with it. Looks like It would have to be socks-ified (with socat or a Win equivalent) so it could point to TOR?

While writing this I had a couple ideas:

1) Write a script to switch Privoxy configs (one with TOR & the other without).

2) Run two instances of Privoxy (If that is even possible) each listening on a different port and use SwitchProxy to alternate between them.

4. Ya, how did you get SwitchProxy extension to work with FF 1.5? I can't get it to work either.

5. reparsed

I didn't... I went back to 1.0.7 until SwitchProxy gets fixed.

And.. I just tried the Dual Privoxy setup and it works.

6. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

You have 2 installations of Privoxy? I wrote at batch file to start up Tor and Privoxy together and when I run it while Privoxy was already up, I'd get an error.

Proxo has to be socksified so I just point it to Privoxy which is pointed to Tor. I don't run Privoxy otherwise.

7. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I don't think SwitchProxy will be fixed. The author stopped development of Firefox extensions some months ago.

8. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

Firefox v1.5 extensions

The extensions on this page are all supported by Firefox v1.5 I've provided links directly to each extension as well as a link where you can find more information about the extension.

http://www.scorpiondb.com/firefox/extensions/index.htm

works great for me as u can see :)

Attached Files:

9. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

Good find! It's been updated because the copy that I downloaded from mozilla.org a month ago definitely doesn't work on FF1.5.

10. Carver

Carver Guest

This new version works great, I use it on FF 1.5 with tor Privoxy Proxomitron and Jap

11. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

It is slightly different. The old version kept your proxy settings when you closed FF. This new resets to "None" when you start FF up again.

12. reparsed

I edited the config of each Privoxy install to listen on different ports, also comented out the "forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 ." line at the top of the Privoxy only config.

13. Lauritius

Lauritius Registered Member

Hello, sorry if I'm late but I need some info about Tor, I just found this forum.

The best alternative to SwitchProxy on FF 1.5 is the extension Xyzproxy. It allows you to quickly switch to your used proxies.

I'm desperately looking for a way to switch on/off Tor (only Tor and not Privoxy) in a simple way as it is with Jap. I have a problem while using tor with LittleSnitch at the same time, it is not convenient.

Can someone help me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.