PRIVATE ISP

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by hidden, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hidden

hidden Registered Member

Article itself is for the digitally illiterate, doesn't need to be pointed out, but Merrill's trying.

"Merrill achieved national fame in August 2010 when he was partially released from a gag order forbidding him to discuss with anyone the details of a secret demand for information sent to him by the FBI six years earlier.

".... Congress amended the law to allow recipients such as Merrill to discuss the letters with their lawyers.

"Merrill says his ISP would protect every piece of information a user’s computer or telephone sends out—browsing activity, emails, instant messages, phone calls, text messages, etc.—by scrambling the data in a process known as encryption, which makes the information unreadable to whoever is able to capture it."

www.truthdig.com/report/item/privacy_by_design_20120724/?ln

2. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

If he is operating within the U.S he may be able to encrypt your traffic, but several laws prevent him from not keeping record logging. Government will have to get a warrant but the same situation stands as with other ISPs. This ISP may not give in easily to ROI, but you will be surprised how fast warrants are issued when buzz words are dropped within government such as “National Security”.

I bring this up because I feel the members of this board are more concerned hiding from their government than corporations and hackers.

3. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

EB, I didn't think the US had implemented any 'Mandatory Logging' laws. Can you point me to them?

(Not doubting you, just want to read them).

PD

4. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Sorry for my delay in responding, work has been busy. I reread my original post and should have worded it better. PD you are correct in that right now there is no "mandated" law, I was referring to due diligence/compliance laws and regulations, which allow for intense recording keeping both internal and external depending on the systems within scope of those laws. Many U.S companies do logging anyway so they can mitigate lawsuits or accountability for any misuse of their systems. This ISP would have to at some level implement logging even temporary to cover themselves. What the U.S lacks atm is long term record keeping, which may change very soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.